In Search of God!

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by dealmaker, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vanzandt

vanzandt

Hmmm. Sounds like someone else that is quoted a lot too.

#41     Apr 8, 2017
  2. dealmaker

dealmaker

In the antiquity that was not that unusual as Socrates did not leave any books/ writings directly written by himself either.

#42     Apr 8, 2017
  3. What are the odds that a space (universe + all empty space) that never "ends" would contain a tiny spec (our rocky planet) that holds organic matter of which it knows it exists? I say extremely low! There is no reason for us to exist (we have no affect outside of earth), no reason for us to know we exist, and no reason for the damn universe/empty space to be infinite...unless something wanted it that way and had the power to make it that way...probably for unselfish and selfish reasons (example:like parents wanting a child)...imho.:)

#43     Apr 8, 2017

4. Sometimes, that only because their written books while alive cannot be found by others after death, due to various reasons.

#44     Apr 8, 2017

5. Like Jesus?

No written books/words, and using meaningful parables!!!

Zen traditions?

#45     Apr 8, 2017
  6. imo, the philosophy of "Living in the moment" should be a more practical/useful theory. I know that I may be wrong on this.

#46     Apr 8, 2017
  7. Humpy

Humpy

Whatever happened to the redundant ancient Greek Gods like Zeus etc. or the Roman Gods ( there were lots of those too) ?
    Isn't it obvious that leaders created and used the idea of God to further their own power and position. The masses were told what to do by something beyond their comprehension.

But having said the above, religion has played a very definitive role in the evolution of most nations. The positive values of the arts and science would never have survived the chaotic beginnings without an urge for peace and prosperity. So violence was frowned upon and social cohesion blessed. Religion provides a template for individuals trying to make sense of their situations.

The violent and aggressive political movements like Nazism have been put down. Even now extremist movements trying to gain power by violence like Islamic extremism are being resisted. Their pay off for their actions is in lead not gold.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    #47     Apr 8, 2017
  8. Wow I was way off, but here I will try to make it up!

In my search for god, I came cross this Quranic verse which suppose to be the most exalted verse of the Quran.
    When the unbelievers ask Muhammad to describe his God to them. Here is what he said:

"Allah! There is no god but He, the Living, the Self-Subsisting, Supporter of all. No slumber can seize Him, nor sleep. His are all things in the heavens and on earth. Who is it that can intercede in His presence, except as He permits? He knows what appears to His creatures before, or after, or behind them. They shall not compass any of His knowledge except as He wills. His Throne/dominion extends over the heavens and the earth, and He feels no fatigue in guarding and presevering them. For He is the Most High, the Supreme in glory."

Now here is how Odd Trader described GOD :
    "God is everywhere, and everyone/ everything is part of God (= the Universe).
    Everyone/ everything participates God's ongoing creation/evolution process.
    Hence, we have arts, music, poets, books, architectures, church buildings, cross-ocean bridges, spaceships, photos of black-holes, medicines, stem-cell technology, etc. etc. for everyone to enjoy, to honor God's existence!"

Do You see the similarity of the concept of God in the minds of both men. Even though they lived thousands of years apart?

So Odd trader you are a Muslim and you did not know it:sneaky:

#48     Apr 8, 2017
  9. Humpy

Humpy

Moses conned the Israelites BUT for their own good. Did he really find the 10 Commandments written in stone on a mountain ? Of course not, he had them made and inspired the weary travellers to carry on a bit further to The Promised Land.
    The problem of all the religions is that they are so old and dated. They can't evolve at all. And if someone tries to they are called heretics and persecuted.
    The same is for revered Constitutions. Evolve boys as people get smarter even if it is only from trial and error.

#49     Apr 8, 2017
    OddTrader and Stocktracker like this.
  10. Your comprehension is beyond mine.

I would like to hear from you how you could compare the religion of Islam and the practical philosophy of Stoicism. Because I know very little about Islam, almost zero.

As a practical philosophy, Stoicism has no any religious laws that a practitioner of Stoicism would have to follow. A Stoic follows natural law. There is no personal God in Stoicism, but Universal God.

I would like to see one day the religious people believing in either Islam or Christianity or anything else would accept the practical philosophy of Stoicism, more than their religious doctrines. Much much more.

Then the whole world would become a more peaceful world. Solving problems with rationality, rather than following any interpretations from their holy books they were taught.

#50     Apr 8, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.