In Rand Paul's world, does a private doctor get to refuse treatment to a black man?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by OPTIONAL777, May 23, 2010.

1. LOL!!!! Not to mention his homoerotic obsession with Rand Paul. I think this makes thread number 10 for him about Paul in the last week or so. LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!!

#21     May 23, 2010
  2. Ideally one should no more be compelled to enter into a business contract against one's will than one's services supposedly are right(s) and have statutory claims on your labor.

IMHO People are getting all stupid over nothing both the business owner and customer have the same rights.
    The govt should not compel someone to be someone else's customer or provider of a service against ones will. Pretty simple

#22     May 24, 2010
  3. PatternRec

PatternRec Guest

Stupid thread.

Why?

Hippocratic oath. Unless you can also show that Rand Paul is looking to modify the Hippocratic oath in his own words. Then I would necessarily recant.

Hippocratic oath:

#23     May 24, 2010
  4. Precisely.

#24     May 24, 2010
  5. So you are saying a doctor's business of medicine should follow a different ethical structure, than say someone who owns a diner?

Why should a doctor who is in the business of medicine, in a private practice, be forced to treat people of color against his will?

#25     May 24, 2010
  6. Mnphats

Mnphats

For sure. A stretch at best to the op.

#26     May 24, 2010
  7. I understand your point of view, but exactly where is it right to deny someone any service on the basis of race?

Rand says institutional racism should be illegal.

Why?

Because he thinks racism is wrong.

Okay. He thinks racism is wrong. Morally wrong?

Yes, morally wrong.

Detrimental to society?

Yes, detrimental society.

Why then should a business, open to the public, open to society at large be exempt from the Civil Rights Act?

This is where I don't see a cogent response from Rand nor his followers.

If something is wrong...why shouldn't it be illegal, when it harms others?

Why is there this peculiar exemption for a private business to practice something that is wrong?

This argument of property rights just does not hold water, as it assumes property rights trumps all human rights.

"I own a business and I am not going to serve niggers."

Is it legal to say that? Sure.

Is it legal to actually deny black service? No.

It is protected speech to say what you like, it is not protected speech when you deny a person of color the same service as a white.

It is this logical inconsistency in Rand's position that ultimate reveals his view on racism...i.e. that it may not be desirable, but it should not be prohibited by a society.

#27     May 24, 2010
  8. PatternRec

PatternRec Guest

It's fun for you isn't it?

Let's say the food service industry license required practitioners to take an oath. In that oath, it prevents discrimination.

Which ethical standard are they governed by?

See where this is going and why harping on Rand's statements is silly? It's easy to overcome. Especially when you factor in state's sovereignty. Something Libertarians are all for.

So let's say by some miracle Rand took control of the federal government and abolished civil right's laws applicability to private enterprise. So what?

Why?

He would have to uphold state sovereignty. And states would be able to institute their own anti-discrimination laws applicable to private enterprise. So if there are a few lone states that wish to take a purely libertarian view like Rand's, those states would face all sorts of pressure and competition from states that were more protective of civil rights. They likely wouldn't be able to uphold that libertarian view in the face of it. Throw in the rest of the Western world's opinion...

So who really cares about what Rand says and feels? He's one man.

Get over it already. No politician has ever firmly set out to do what they believe in. Government systems are one of compromise.

#28     May 24, 2010
  9. Because it is immoral to impose your idea of morality on others. All should be free to follow their own moral inclinations, and not be forced to follow the inclinations of others. The collective PC entity has replaced the church as the primary distributor of ignorance and judgment in modern times.

Just because you, I, Rand, Pattern, phats or whoever has the belief that something is morally wrong doesn't mean that others should also have to adhere to that moral standard if they don't believe in it.

I know you hate the fact that the thought police don't exist yet, and the idea of legislating morality makes you cream your shorts quicker than a drive past an elementary school yard.

#29     May 24, 2010
  10. Mnphats

Mnphats

He is saying the federal government has overstepped its boundaries starting with the civil rights act. But then again you already know this.

#30     May 24, 2010