In Rand Paul's world, does a private doctor get to refuse treatment to a black man?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by OPTIONAL777, May 23, 2010.

1. Paul currently owns a private ophthalmology practice in Bowling Green, Kentucky.

I have to assume Paul, as most other doctors took the Hippocratic Oath.

So, a doctor in private practice, a private business...

...does the doctor who hates blacks get to refuse treatment of someone on the basis of race in Paul's world?

Does the Hippocratic Oath only apply when a doctor approves of a particular race?

Is it ethical for a private practice businessman, who happens to have a business of medicine as his business, to refuse treatment on the basis of race?

2. After his true feelings were revealed It would be best for blacks to avoid his medical practice imo

3. Paul, an eye doctor who is not color blind...

4. LOL :D

5. I never heard Rand Paul say that private doctors should be able to refuse treatment to black people. When did he say that? Have a link?

6. Did Paul say that private business should be exempt from the Civil Rights Act?

Yes...

Paul wrote that "a free society will abide unofficial, private discrimination, even when that means allowing hate-filled groups to exclude people based on the color of their skin."

7. You have to excuse him,he probably doesn't know that doctors with private practices are private businesses

8. But did he say anything about medicine, and the relevance of the Hippocratic oath?? The Hippocratic oath implicitly prevents one from discriminating based on race. Paul never claimed otherwise to my knowledge. Can you show us where he did claim otherwise?

9. Medicine is a business these days...he is a businessman.

He said it should be okay for a business to discriminate on the basis of race...he did not exclude the business of medicine.