In praise of SQLite

Discussion in 'App Development' started by nooby_mcnoob, Mar 4, 2019.

1. I know everyone likes to use the latest thing but I've got SQLite running for Spartan (my trading/backtest platform) where it is currently:

1. Managing and adding to 7 million rows of quotes at the rate of about 1 million/day
    2. Allowing complex instantaneous queries from the same DB for backtesting
    3. Updating bar data

All 3 of these are occuring at the same instant and SQLite barely hiccups.

Don't knock it till you try it.

Code:
    sqlite> select date(datetime),count(*) from quote group by date(datetime);
    2019-02-28|139487
    2019-03-01|3335677
    2019-03-03|416006
    2019-03-04|3225579

The database is around 1G right now.

fan27 likes this.
  2. R1234

R1234

SQLite user here. I agree - very lightweight/fast/stable. I use it linked up to Python.

nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  3. IAS_LLC

IAS_LLC

Also a an sqlite(3) user....love it. Only issue that you may run into is concurrent read/writes,if you end up needing that...

nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  4. You're right but I find that as long as you're not concurrently writing to the same table, you're fine. Which makes sense.

5. Yup, it's all I use for my IB API apps as well. I use it mainly for storing my transaction logs for PnL tracking and risk graphs.

nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  6. 2rosy

2rosy

agreed. i like it for tests where you can grab the schema/data from a large database and load into it http://odo.pydata.org/en/latest/. also, the in memory option is good for embedding; saw it used in multiplayer games

nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  7. Never heard of odo, very cool!

8. I'm running 3 processes continuously: bar import, tick recording and backtesting from the same database. I ran into this issue today while backtesting as the backtester kept the connection open for the duration of the backtest. I had to refactor things to limit SQLite connection scope and everything is ticking along perfectly fine, and in fact, seems a lot faster. So just FYI, that's a potential workaround as well.

IAS_LLC likes this.
  9. Axon

Axon

Another thumbs up for SQLite. I use it with Python and it is blazing fast with zero problems so far. In WAL mode, the issue of concurrent reads and writes is all but gone. I do a lot of stuff with Redis too and despite Redis being an "in memory" database, SQLite is still almost always faster since it doesn't suffer the latency of going through Unix domain sockets to pass data. Highly recommended.

10. IAS_LLC

IAS_LLC

Sqlite can be in memory as well. You just have to set the file name to ":memory" ...or something like that. At least that's the case for the C API.

#10     Sep 19, 2019