In need of a mentor...

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by MRPaulson, May 24, 2019.

1. coplii

coplii

#41     May 25, 2019
  2. Hooti

Hooti

Mark,

I understand health issues, and have had a pancreas thing also. Tho mine was from gangrene that dissolved a third of it. Still have chronic pain, among other ongoing symptoms. Health is one part of why I trade.
    Many other traders on ET have a variety of health issues.

I also started with all the books, and a couple programs/teachers that cost a lot, and they didn’t get me anywhere near being consistently profitable.

As to trading, it depends on what kind of trading you are interested in. Automation? Lots of indicators? None? You are trading the ES... I’ll PM you a suggestion for a course of study.

#42     May 25, 2019
  3. timdug

timdug

I would chat to Amplify trading in London. They have a career program you can do remotely that is great. Very good reputation for training. A few people same age as you do it. Don’t worry about age- o know a 65 year old trader who KILLS it almost every day in the markets. He started trading about 4 years ago.

#43     May 25, 2019
  4. padutrader

padutrader

LET ME BE BLUNT

i too had interest in trading.....like i had in golf...but in both you have to have a lot of commitment...i played 4 handicap in my prime for25 years and money was never the reason for playing
    it was to play well and that was fun

if you really want to trade for fun then trade demo or trade small in forex in amounts like 20 usd which is what i did until i understood it. 12 years it took me.

trading is very difficult to understand ….because there is no one in the world who knows it.

and the .05% who know are not telling because, even if they tell ,100% of people will not understand it.

markets for 80% of the time, neither trend or range....but do both or do neither...confused ?

confused is not fun, believe me.

and for so 80% of the time it is not fun....but you want to have fun!

i hope you are getting it

so you want to trade for fun...unless you are a masochist, you will have to endure a great deal of pain, like i did for 12 years.

it is a very long time.

but now i am living my dream.....but you want to have fun....

whatever worth while things you have to do like opening a business you have to spend a great deal of time or money.

if you want to have fun too you will have to spend a great deal of time or money.....but if you do not want to spend either then just sit in a mall and look at girls and fantasise

posting this was fun

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    #44     May 26, 2019
  5. padutrader

padutrader

just fantastically put as always

#45     May 26, 2019
  6. padutrader

padutrader

not every body is as gifted as you
    some people are actually normal

#46     May 26, 2019
  7. faet

faet

Hi there Mark,

I have to agree with some of the posters here when they say that, unfortunately, there is no such think as a quick start in trading.

I too when I began was looking for a quick start. I would say to myself "I don't need to make thousands a day, but surely I can start by making at least 50 USD a day. That much must be fairly achievable, right?".

The reality is, that kind of thought process is very naive and usually what beginners think. Whilst such a thought process might be suitable in most lines of work, in trading it is not. For someone just starting you should expect to be constantly losing money for a fairly extended period of time.

Using a SIM (simulator) would be highly advisable instead of using real money but please be aware that trading simulated money is just that: there is a considerable psychological difference between trading fake money and real money and the shock when one moves to live should not be underestimated.

I know I am painting a grim picture but my philosophy is, better to be safe than sorry.

You mention having bought into some programs only to be disappointed. Look at it this way: in my experience all the people providing education and mentorship as their full time occupation are just that: educators. You don't have any guarantee that they have a track record of successful trading behind them which would entitle them to teach what they are teaching. There may be a few exceptions to the rule but I'd say they are few and very far between.

Trading is very much like any other profession and it's been said many times: you would not go under a knife with a surgeon that just had a quick training course, would you? You would want someone who is fully trained, qualified and has had many years of medical training. Same for a lawyer. Same for an engineer. Trading is no different.

I hope this helps casting a more realistic light onto what trading is and most of all what it is not.

My best wishes,
    faet

#47     Aug 6, 2019
    MrMuppet and coplii like this.
  8. kmiklas

kmiklas

MRPaulson, which of the 11 S&P sectors is your best? What kind of companies did you work for in your life?

#48     Aug 6, 2019