In four years, Obama will be heralded as the guy that saved the US economy.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by walter4, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Again, how would you be able to know ? Bird brains like yourself never do .
    Go, dust of your third place spelling bee ribbon . Geez, some losers never learn ..
    I am done talking to you, boy .

#81     Mar 5, 2009
  2. ‘Give it to me!’ Obama takes charge of economy
    President assumes ownership even as advisers predict a slow recovery

[​IMG]

“I love these folks who helped get us in this mess and then suddenly say, ‘Well, this is Obama’s economy,’” President Barack Obama said Tuesday in Warren, Mich. “That’s fine. Give it to me!”

By Jim Kuhnhenn
    updated 12:51 p.m. CT, Wed., July 15, 200

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31924749/ns/business-economy_in_turmoil/

WASHINGTON - With four simple words — "Give it to me!" — President Barack Obama took possession of the economy.

For months, the White House and Obama's economic team have laid the economic crisis at the feet of President George W. Bush. But there comes a point in a presidency when inheritance becomes ownership. Obama made that pivot Tuesday in Michigan, the state suffering the worst unemployment in the nation.

"I love these folks who helped get us in this mess and then suddenly say, 'Well, this is Obama's economy,'" the president said in a pointed deviation from his prepared text. "That's fine. Give it to me!"

It was a defiant moment, reminiscent of Bush's own "Bring 'em on!" taunt in 2003 to militants in Iraq.

Like Bush's brash challenge, Obama's could haunt him, too. It's a calculated risk that confronts his critics head-on and casts him as an activist, on-the-job president.

"My job is to solve problems, not to stand on the sidelines and harp and gripe," he said Tuesday, his sleeves rolled up, barely disguising his targets as congressional Republicans.

Still, most economists and Obama's own advisers foresee a slow economic recovery. The president himself conceded Tuesday that unemployment, already at a 26-year high, will likely "tick up for several months." Republicans see the economy as Obama's Achilles' heel come next year's elections, and they have found a political vulnerability in the continued rise in unemployment despite a $787 billion economic stimulus that Obama pushed through Congress in February.

Unemployment at 9.5 percent

In choosing Michigan to attach his name to the economy, Obama picked a state whose 14.1 percent unemployment rate could linger as evidence of policy failure. As home to the U.S. auto industry, it could also stand as a symbol of one of his first economic successes. Both General Motors and Chrysler have emerged in surprisingly swift fashion from bankruptcy protection proceedings that were imposed by the Obama administration.

"Remember, folks said there was no way they could do it?" Obama told his audience in hard-hit Warren, Mich. "They've gotten it done already, in record time, far faster than anybody thought possible."

After a week spent overseas, the feisty, confrontational approach aims to regain the agenda from his critics. In one bold step this week, the Obama administration singled out Sen. Jon Kyl, a member of the Senate Republican leadership, for calling for an end to economic stimulus spending. Using Obama's Cabinet members as muscle, the White House on Tuesday made public letters from four department secretaries listing transportation, housing, Indian education and other projects in Kyl's home state that they said would be eliminated if the senator had his way. The letter was addressed to Arizona's Republican governor, Jan Brewer.

At the same time, Obama is appealing for patience. In his weekly radio and Internet address Saturday and in a newspaper opinion piece, Obama argued that the stimulus program was designed as a two-year plan and that it had already halted the economic free fall. It hasn't helped Obama, however, that the jobless rate now stands at 9.5 percent, even though his economic team initially predicted that the stimulus would prevent unemployment from going higher than 8 percent.

‘Where's the jobs?’

Obama and his advisers say the recession turned out to be worse than anticipated when they made that forecast in January. Still, 2 million jobs have been lost since Congress passed the stimulus package.

"I want the president's economic stimulus to work, but guess what? It's not happening right now," Rep. Candice Miller, R-Mich., said Tuesday, voicing a common GOP refrain. "I don't even think we have Wendy's jobs anymore. Where's the beef? Where's the jobs?"

Obama's unflinching embrace of his economic policies means he now is responsible for their consequences. If the free fall is now in check, as he claims, then the economy can no longer be Bush's legacy alone.

#82     Jul 15, 2009
  3. Bush never had the balls to say that.

#83     Jul 15, 2009
  4. "I love these folks who helped get us in this mess and then suddenly say, 'Well, this is Obama's economy,'" the president said in a pointed deviation from his prepared text. "That's fine. Give it to me!"
    -------------------------------------

Imo, the important message is perhaps Congress (or others) will take a hint and work on providing a solution rather than starting every sentence with a disclaimer.

#84     Jul 15, 2009
  5. Posted March 2, 2009:

"The turmoil in the stock market is being exasperated by an endless wave a negative news. This has led to redemptions among hedge fund clients, and mutual fund investors. This being said, in my opinion, we are witnessing one of the best buying opportunities in our lifetimes.

I will be brief since I am locked in to picking the proper time to add to client accounts, so here's what I believe we will see in the months and years ahead;

1) I was petrified of the market when the Dow was above 14,000. I am not afraid of it at 7000. What I am personally afraid of is not further declines, but missing the market on the upside when it turns.

2) Clearly, the stock market is in the midst of a toilet hugging barf, and in my opinion, the next best opportunity to add to the equity portion of investment portfolios will be below 7000 on the Dow Jones Industrials, and under 700 on the S&P 500. My calculations tell me that the market will be finish when it inflicts the maximum amount of pain to the maximum number of people."

[​IMG]

#85     Dec 13, 2009
  6. TGregg

TGregg

Been five. Do we keep counting?

#86     Jul 24, 2014
  7. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

LOL! Great find....hahaha....

#87     Jul 25, 2014
  8. Arnie

Arnie

Walter,

Is your last name "Mitty"? :D

#88     Jul 25, 2014
  9. In liberal/media fantasyland, anything they say is true is true.

#89     Jul 25, 2014