in defense of Cramer

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by liulala, Mar 18, 2008.

1. cszulc

cszulc

I have no idea. The site doesn't say. But, since inception, or 1/1/2002, it has been 20.04% beating the S&P of 15.14%.

I am on the free trial. I think if you have a TheStreet.com username you can get the trial without a credit card.

#21     Mar 22, 2008
  2. cszulc

cszulc

It looks as if he started with $3,096,450.00 on 1/1/02, and current value is $3,716,949.00, representing an in-aggregate 20.04% return, beating the S&P by 5% and missing the Dow by 3%.

#22     Mar 22, 2008
  3. AAA30

AAA30

Cramers retirement will be an excellent market bottom indicator.

#23     Mar 22, 2008
  4. The problem with Cramer is that he talks too much and it's easy to pick up so many things on which he is wrong.
    His two recent mistakes was his bullish view of the market and when he said the subprime problem was not serious.
    Yet, if you're new to the financial world you can learn so many things from him provided you listen closely to what he says. The guy has an extensive knowledge of what is going on on wall street.

#24     Mar 22, 2008
  5. christ, not this shit again. go here

#25     Mar 22, 2008
  6. Yes, he is so good that he was beaten by:

Leonard the Wonder Monkey

I posted a link in another thread to a youtube video, where the guy shows how Cramer had a "buy" on BSC at 62 in early March on the Street.com and then later removed that "buy" from the website and replaced it with "sell" at 4.81.

Both were shit calls. Anybody can be right some of the time, question is should they be on TV giving advice like an expert.

Leonard the Wonder Monkey, apparently, would be a better stockpicker.

#26     Mar 22, 2008
  7. thanks. dont forget cramer figures his returns including dividends while the dow and s&p are less dividends. if you account for that he underperformed the indexes.

#27     Mar 22, 2008
  8. gaj

gaj

cszulc - thanks for posting the information, it's much appreciated.

liulala - i posted in another thread, cramer WAS reco'ing bsc stocks on march 11. and not even on mad money!

see this thread:
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1843667#post1843667

"bear is now one of these companies that's selling well below book...normally with a brokerage i want to buy in the money calls...i'm a little gunshy at this point, but i know that i would buy a small position in bear options because it's too low, it fell too fast, and i don't want to buy a position when the stock is up."

the reason i prefer to look at cramer's action alerts portfolio, rather than his mad money stuff for his performance, is because mad money posts can be twisted many ways. do you take credit if a stock gaps and never looks back (cramer's done that), or only count it 2-3 days after the reco (cramer's done that)? do you take a 5 point drawdown in the stock and then on a gap up sell a chunk of it 1/2 point up (ebay, he's done that: risk: reward 10:1 !)? do you keep theoretically doubling down on a stock until it bounces or you're fed up with it, with no stops? (yes, he's done that too). many problems.

btw, on the action alerts portfolio; i really should calculate what his portfolio was down from august '01-december '01, before his account was reset to zero.

again, thank you for posting the results, cszulc.

#28     Mar 23, 2008
  9. cszulc

cszulc

gaj,

Probably shouldn't post his whole portfolio and trades up here for everyone.

PM me with your email and I'll send 2 PDFs to you with his current holdings and closed trades.

#29     Mar 23, 2008
  10. LOL.:cool: Dr Koop.

#30     Mar 23, 2008