In addition to the 'Like' function..............

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by learner2007, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Often there are times when I would like to reply to a post but don't have time or don't have a complete reply in mind at the moment. So it's the Like icon or nothing. But if the post contains nothing new to me, I would hesitate to say Like, but might just want to say Agree, GP(good post), GFFT(good food for thought). In a drop down menu other choices could be Disagree, MDP(more details please), CQ(confusing question),
    GI(Google it), DU(don't understand your question), TI(thanks for the idea) etc.

If for one reason or another readers fail to reply in number, the poster might feel ignored and may be reluctant to make further postings.

Thank you for considering this.

2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

If your reply could possibly be a lengthy one and you don't have time to post it completely, just type your partial thought into the reply box without hitting the "Post Reply" button. Your draft will be saved automatically in the reply box until the next time you visit the thread. Then you can just finish it and post it.

The positive affirmations you mentioned like Agree, GP, GFFT, and TI are all synonymous with "Like", so I can't really see any real basis for sharding like into various sub-words.

In regards to the terms like MDP, CQ, and DU, there needs to be an explanation as to why you feel that way, not just a dropdown box to click and run. Sure, you might disagree with a question, or be confused in some way, or need more details...... but why? Why do you disagree? What specifically are you confused about? What details were lacking? The person you are replying to can't be expected to read your mind in these areas. You have to be clear and explain yourself.

One of the reasons why I love forums so much over the quick-and-easy formats like chat rooms, SMS, instant messaging, etc. is that you can explain your thoughts in detail instead of relying on a bunch of acronyms like WTF?, LOL, +1, or emojis to communicate.

In regards to "Google it", I honestly can't stand when people post that because it doesn't add value to the thread. After that's been posted as a reply, then every single person who reads the thread also has to "Google it" just to find out the answer. So I'm of the opinion that a poster should contribute something of value, or don't post at all.

zdreg and HobbyTrading like this.
  3. Thank you.

Actually the proposed additions were what I so often see in written replies. And, as you said, some are similar to Like, but I just thought they expanded the Like meaning somewhat for the reader's reply. True, a complete written reply is, of course, best. My idea was to use those additions in lieu of a written response only when the reader, for whatever reason, did not choose to write one but still wanted to make some kind of quick and simple remark. And at the same time it might be more satisfying for the poster.

Yes, the function where drafts are saved automatically is an excellent addition to ET.

Anyway, sorry this won't be added, but thank you very much for having considered it.