In a LLC/ s corp in California, can you retroactively deduct against personal gains?

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by dtryan, Mar 29, 2020.

1. dtryan

dtryan

Let's say I create a LLC or S corp in April, can I deduct against personal capital gains I have already made when I closed out my short term personal gains from January until March? If I made 300k from January until March, can I start a LLC/ S corp and deduct retroactively the gains I already made in my personal account? Or will it only apply to the LLC gains since it is a separate entity with another tax ein number?

2. mukoh

mukoh

Ask a tax professional that you engage for an accurate answer to this IMO, any advice on forums when it comes to taxes is just darts at the board.

3. Sig

Sig

I think you might be missing the bigger picture of how a S Corp or LLC work. Everything is passed through to the members, so from a tax perspective a capital gain or loss in an S Corp where you are the sole shareholder is identical to a capital gain or loss in your personal account. So yes, you would be able to net all your gains and losses in a year regardless of if they stemmed from a passthrough entity or your own account.

4. dtryan

dtryan

Thank you, so what would be the point of a LLC / s corp if the gains and losses are treated the same? I made 300k so far this year and I am just trying to lower the tax I pay. I am 30 years old and have a private health insurance plan so not sure how it would benefit besides a retirement plan. I do not have many trading expenses and do not pay for software or margin fees. I only could deduct a home office I think?

5. Sig

Sig

You pretty much summed it up. The benefits aren't huge and it's a bit of a PITA.

6. dtryan

dtryan

Just wondering why so many people do it then. Will it help me if I live in California?

7. Sig

Sig

They've got a minimum franchise tax that makes it even worse, from what I remember.