In 2008 Obama Promised To Cut Wasteful Programs - Where Are The Cuts?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Sep 19, 2012.

1. pspr

pspr

In this video, O promises to cut wasteful programs in government. My question to anyone here is, "What programs, if any, were cut as he promised? They weren't in his Trillion dollar deficit budget proposals. So, where are they?"

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q0bhGXpIwlg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. He promised things the hoi polloi wanted to hear.... had no intention of keeping any of them except "to fundamentally change America". People thought/hoped that would be something good. What he actually meant was a fundamental change to Communism.

He lied about virtually everything else.

:mad: :mad:

3. Space Program

I was on my way to the bathroom and I looked at Obama's out box on his desk and saw a memo:

"Space is Wace"

I think he meant space is waste.

4. pspr

pspr

I think you are right. Didn't he also turn NASA into a Muslim outreach organization, too?

5. Lucrum

Lucrum

Yes Muslim outreach, very important. Of course it's not working out very well.
    Obviously we just need to spend more money, we don't have, on the problem.

Free Quran's for everyone! Compliments of <s>the US tax payer</s> Hussein Obama.

6. pspr

pspr

That's it? He cut the budget to NASA?

Liberals, any other ideas where Obama cut government programs and spending?

How about you AK. You're good a digging up half truths. Got any thing? Anything at all?

7. I'm wondering, since Obma hasn't proposed any budgets we have nothing to go on. Idon't know, hasObama passed any budgets since he has been in office?

8. http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/...t-real-government-spending-obama-recovery.php

CHART: The Gobsmacking Drop In Government Spending Under Obama

The conventional wisdom that President Obama has overseen a dramatic surge in government spending has always been shaky. But it faces perhaps its starkest rebuttal in new figures that reveal the sharpest decline of the last half-century in real federal, state and local spending during this presidency.

Perhaps not coincidentally, the new figures in the Federal Reserve Economic Data arrive just days after a lousy jobs report that has exacerbated fears that the economy may be in worse shape than expected. In recent years, state and local governments have received little federal aid to close their budget shortfalls and have therefore made large spending cuts since Obama’s 2009 stimulus expired.

“That saps demand still further aggravating a downturn and inhibiting a recovery,” said Chad Stone, chief economist for the liberal-leaning Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. “State fiscal assistance in the 2009 recovery act was largely gone by 2011 and state spending cutbacks continued due to pressures for budget austerity in many states and at the federal level.”

The government spending cuts have come about amid a mood of austerity incubated by Republicans across the country shortly after Obama took office.

[​IMG]

For a longer-term historical perspective, the drop in overall government spending after Obama’s stimulus funds expired in 2010 has been the sharpest since the 1950s, when the United States was demobilizing after the Korean War.

[​IMG]

The new numbers provide more grist for the debate, such as it is, over whether contractionary economic policies slow growth. Conservatives say government spending is the problem, not the solution. Keynesian economists, notably Nobel Prize-winner Paul Krugman, have argued that pulling back on government spending while economic output remains below its potential threatens the recovery.

“Gosh, I wonder why the economy is underperforming?” Krugman wrote of the data.

9. http://blog.heritage.org/2011/04/13/military-already-being-cut-but-obama-makes-it-official/

Military Already Being Cut, But Obama Makes It Official

President Obama on Wednesday announced $400 billion in defense cuts between now and 2023. But in reality, defense budgets have already been cut, are being cut now, and will be cut even further in the future. And it’s happening at the expense of national security.

He specifically referenced $400 billion in defense “savings” found to date by Secretary of Defense Robert Gates as the effort he’d like to copy and apply to deficit reduction. Of this money identified by Secretary Gates, only $100 billion is technically considered “savings” resulting from efficiency initiatives and reforms at the Pentagon. The remaining $300 billion in defense cuts the President would like to emulate resulted from significant cuts through the cancelation or delaying of over 50 major weapons programs.

Last year, the Obama administration, Secretary of Defense, and Congress began reshaping the U.S. military by changing the direction of defense investments and canceling programs with a total lifetime value of over $300 billion (if seen through completion). The list of defense cuts includes a combat search and rescue helicopter, the F-22 fifth generation fighter, the Army’s future combat systems (primarily a ground vehicle program), the multiple-kill vehicle for missile defense, a bomber for the Air Force, the VH-71 presidential helicopter, a transformational satellite program, and the second airborne laser aircraft. In addition, the Administration decided to extend the construction of an aircraft carrier by an extra year from four to five, reduce the number of ground-based midcourse defense interceptors from 44 to 30, and indefinitely delay the Navy’s next generation cruiser.

The current 2011 defense budget and next year’s defense budget aren’t being spared the axe, either. Some of the planned reductions include: ending production of the country’s only wide-bodied cargo aircraft, the C-17; terminating the EPX intelligence aircraft; permanently canceling the Navy’s cruiser; ending another satellite program; and killing the expeditionary fighting vehicle program for the Marine Corps. The Army’s surface-to-air missile program and its non-line-of-sight cannon are also on the block.

The President has finally acknowledged what has been happening for over two years now: defense budgets aren’t just “on the table” but massive defense cuts are already underway. Too many policymakers have been saying the nation needs to debate military spending cuts. This ignores the fact that defense budgets have already been cut, are being cut now, and will be cut even further in the future.

10. pspr

pspr

I think they passed one in 2009. Then came the 2010 voting blowout for the Democrats and Harry Reid said (paraphrased), "no more budgets. Let's not admit to how much money we are wasting or where. We'll just fly by the seat of our pants."

Now, here we are. $16 Trillion in debt and accelerating toward the cliff.

#10     Sep 19, 2012