Impostors

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by fordewind, May 8, 2017.

1. Are most so called stars and celebrities self-proclaimed?What do you think?

2. Xela

Xela

I think only a very, very few ever become stars and celebrities by being self-proclaimed.

I think some admittedly inflate their celebrity, after it's started in other ways, by self-proclamation, but (in spite of the potential - as always - to reference a very small number of exceptions, usually well known precisely because they're exceptions) the overall effect this has is typically pretty minimal.

3. How about Muhammad Ali, for e.g.?The one that comes to mind.Was not really a great boxer.

Where is the limit betwenn self-proclamation and people`s perception?

4. java

java

Right Person Right Time

lawrence-lugar likes this.
  5. Handle123

Handle123

In America? a country where pet rocks, beer cans and belt buckles become famous and people pay large sums for a rock, storage device and hold up your jeans, you asking about "celebrities"? We have so much easy throwaway money, if a pet rock can make millions, doesn't take much for some people. How many now are TV preachers? Get the free holy water, will cost you your phone number and home address and a hard salesperson who get commissions on the donations you give.

I find it so flipping amusing that foreigners come here and they open businesses and people who born here filling out forms to get disability cause they gave up on themselves.

tommcginnis and fordewind like this.
  6. Zodiac4u

Zodiac4u

"I will show you how great I am"

Muhammad Ali,

I think he did ;)

tommcginnis likes this.
  7. He did.Who`s proclaimed the great artists like Pollock or Malevich?Their works are just pure nonsense.

8. Pet rocks.So a dog poop can be claimed as gold, at the right time and the right place, right?

9. Marketing

10. Self-Marketing.

#10     May 8, 2017