Importing IB positions to Excel

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by qazmax, Nov 9, 2007.

1. qazmax

qazmax

How do I import real time positions from IB into Excel?

I want to track my real time positions in an Excel file, is there an easy way to do this? What about other information like trade excution details?

Thanks for any help. I did a search and did not see anything...

:)

2. You must download the API. When you do this, there will be a TWSDDE.XLS file there in the "\jts" directory.
    Self-explanatory after that.

3. qazmax

qazmax

ty for the help, I got the excel file and API running and it feeds information into the excel file. Unfortunately, I know nothing of how to program VBA.

I was hoping there was a method similar to the Bloomberg method of pulling data into Excel (DDE I think). I want a very simple file that pulls all the existing positions and entry prices as well as daily executions.

Anyone have a sample file or a suggestion? Should I just start reading a "VBA for dummies" book?

4. I don't believe there is a DDE option but you may want to try out this website. They claim to have a product that is basically a plug-in to Excel that will do the same.

Unfortunately, I have never used it so I can't vouch for its ability but it appears to be free.

http://www.cyberxpert.com/downloads.html

5. qazmax

qazmax

Thanks Allen, I will give it a try and see if it does anything. I will post the results if I get it to work.

Thanks again!

6. qazmax

qazmax

This software is exactly what I wanted!!

Thanks so much for the link!!

This works much in the same fashion as Bloomberg DDE into Excel. If anyone has questions about it please feel free to PM.

7. Glad to hear that it worked out for you!

8. qazmax

qazmax

It quit working because it is not compatable with the new version of IB.

Email said 2 weeks for the update. Back to learning VBA...

9. Which version exactly ? 878, 879 ??
    Seems strange....because the API only changed in the beta release (9.4) and TWS releases shouldn't been affected.

10. Is working now with ver 879 :)

#10     Dec 6, 2007