Impeachment hearings

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Wallet, Nov 13, 2019.

1. [​IMG]Spotted Toad‏@toad_spotted 14h14 hours ago

How is there not a single elected Republican who can say, “do you seriously expect the American people to care that the President asked to investigate Joe Biden’s literally crackhead son for being on the payroll of all our global enemies?”

Have some fucking balls.

25 replies 120 retweets 621 likes

#51     Nov 14, 2019
  2. Black_Cat

Black_Cat

3g9rb.jpg

#52     Nov 14, 2019
    traderob, WeToddDid2 and elderado like this.
  3. Bugenhagen

Bugenhagen

@Wallet you liked this knowing it is pure crap, why? Are you unfamiliar with source?

#53     Nov 14, 2019
  4. You're absolutely right AAA.
    these two clowns need to be put in front of a firing squad . :( .

‘Comically incompetent’ Jim Jordan and Devin Nunes crashed and burned after just one impeachment hearing: Rick Wilson

[​IMG]

According to conservative political strategist Rick Wilson, the first day of the House impeachment hearings could hardly have gone worse for Donald Trump because his staunchest defenders — Repps. Devin Nunes (R-CA) and Jim Jordan (R-OH) thoroughly embarrassed themselves and the GOP with their nationally televised antics.

In a brutally blunt column for the Daily Beast, Wilson scorched the two lawmakers and Trump’s other “skells, sycophants, and dead-end goons on the committee” for faceplanting spectacularly on just the first day of the hearings.

Wilson got right to the point by noting that the president is likely furious about how the first day of impeachment hearings played out.

“Wednesday’s opening act of the impeachment of Donald J. Trump was only going to end one way for Trump and his defenders, and that was badly,” he began. “In the face of two credible, non-partisan witnesses of unimpeachable character and service, the Trump House Clown Caucus brought their A-game, and instead of changing the dialogue and owning the libs they managed to validate the witnesses, embarrass themselves, and doubtlessly enrage the Audience of One.

“You could practically hear him screaming all the way down Pennsylvania Avenue as his allies’ carefully constructed tower of bullsh*t collapsed under the matter-of-fact, up-the-middle baritone recitation of his plan from men who lived through the Ukraine scandal,” he continued, adding, “Trump relied on his shriveled, impotent House caucus to destroy Taylor and Kent, and the unfocused, pathetic performances his mooks put on must have left The Donald tearing his wig out.”

According to Wilson, Nunes was comically overwhelmed as was evidenced by his opening statement that did nothing to waylay the evidence against the president.

“On just the first day of impeachment hearings, the fantasy that the Republicans on the committee, led by the comically incompetent Devin Nunes, would shift the public dialogue from Trump’s overt corruption to Biden, Burisma, and loco conspiracy theories was utterly detonated,” he wrote, suggesting, “The idea that the Republicans would make the hearing about the original whistleblower was also shattered.”

Then there was Jordan, who was roundly ridiculed for his over-the-top performance.

“Jordan, as always, was without a jacket, an appropriately knotted necktie, or a clue. His gotchas didn’t get anything, his predicates were as thin as his combover, and his belief that he’d save the day by talking louder and faster was a flop,” he wrote. “He was rattling off “questions” so fast that he sounded like an auctioneer who had discovered the joy of cocaine. That fact that other members of the committee kept throwing their remaining question time to Jordan was a sign not of confidence in him, but of their own desires to punch their questions out and resume hiding.”

“Nunes, a man no one confuses as a person with a first-, second-, or even third-class intellect, was so out of his depth and so uncomfortable that it was painful to watch,” he continued. “In the mayfly world of the Trump GOP, they act as if tomorrow will never come, and Gordon Sondland will never testify. They seem to believe that executive privilege will never be broken or the testimony of others ordered. Democrats need to emphasize that the hearsay question could be easily resolved by letting White House and State Department personnel testify.”

While noting future hearings will likely blow up in Republicans’ faces, Wilson said, from what he has seen so far, they are convincing no one and wasting their time.

“It was a bad, bad day for Trump. His defenders on the committee came in believing that keeping him, Fox News, and the Republican base happy would save the day. It won’t,” he concluded.

#54     Nov 14, 2019
  5. Black_Cat

Black_Cat

xbh33ju3.png

#55     Nov 14, 2019
    WeToddDid2 and elderado like this.
  6. LS1Z28

LS1Z28

I believe you're correct. This is a quote from the Mueller report: "no judicial decision has treated the voluntary provision of uncompensated opposition research or similar information as a thing of value that could amount to a contribution under campaign-finance law."

I don't condone the solicitation or acceptance of information from foreign entities to help an election campaign, but I can't say it's illegal under current legal precedent. This is an undefined gray area that needs to be addressed through legislation.

#56     Nov 14, 2019
    WeToddDid2 likes this.
  7. Bugenhagen

Bugenhagen

I'm trying to get through the last couple of hours from yesterday and best I can tell their only objective was to get conservatives to stop watching the proceedings. Switch to anything else.

#57     Nov 14, 2019
    Frederick Foresight likes this.
  8. Not to get too persnickity but it has not been established that Trump's sole purpose in wanting to see Biden investigated was related just to his campaign although no one denies that that was a big bonus factor. But it is also clear that the government had a valid reason for looking further into the Ukraine and Barr had/has an active investigation. So the question becomes, is it illegal for a president to take action to further a government investigation where the outcome could likely benefit the president politically?

I hear the snickers out there so I offer up the reminder that Barack Obama was aware and involved in the investigation of Trump - ie. his political opponent. But suddenly the dems launch into these lecturettes on how no person is above the law and that you cannot get immunity just by running for office. They argue that - while Obama knew and allowed it to be furthered - probably more than that- we shall see- that the original investigation came from within the justice department and he can't help the fact that Trump happens to be his opponent. Yeh well, Trump's conversation with President Z was also - in part- a furtherance of an investigation already in progress by the Justice Department. Oh, I see. Different rules. Biden is above the law. And Trump is below the law.

#58     Nov 14, 2019
    LacesOut likes this.
  9. LS1Z28

LS1Z28

The POTUS has the ability to open an investigation into anyone they choose, regardless of intent. I don't think it's a question about legality, but rather whether or not it was an abuse of power. I doubt we'll ever see a sitting president removed based off of allegations of abuse of power unless they do something egregious. I don't see that happening in this instance because of the corruption in Ukraine & the previous investigation.

This might pass the House, but I can't see it passing the Senate unless it's proven that a crime was committed.

#59     Nov 14, 2019
    Wallet likes this.
  10. I think Trump is going down. The pattern of arrogant abuse of power is considerable and undeniable. It will be fun to revisit this thread, and others like it, when Trump gets his comeuppance.

#60     Nov 14, 2019
    Tony Stark likes this.