Impatience

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by bungrider, Mar 13, 2003.

1. If I trade 500 shares at a time and get into position several times, I trade very well. When I trade 5k positions and get in several times, than I feel terrified. Unfortunatelly stocks move 10 - 20 cents so you need to trade 5k+ to make any decent money, 1000 shares doesn't cut it anymore!

#11     Mar 15, 2003
  2. personally -- this is just my thing -- this has not struck me as a market to get aggressive in -- just when I thought it was, I'd get hit. So i'm content to do the <a href="http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=220243#post220243">'cockroach'</a> thing for now, until I know this market has the depth. Might be getting ready to have it now, but it's too early to say.

#12     Mar 15, 2003
  3. Liquidity issue is not the problem at all, it's just holding size, I need to get used to doing it to continue to make money. Enough money to live on!

#13     Mar 15, 2003
  4. I think this was directed at me. I usually trade ES, and in this market I aim for 3 to 4 points, with a 1.5 point stop, usually. It all depends on the structure of the market. I can place tight stops because I only trade retracement patterns.

I haven't cranked out the numbers lately, but I would say my average gain is roughly 1.75. My average loss is probably about .75 due to the fact that my stops get hit often after I move em. This is a guess.

Jay

#14     Mar 15, 2003
  5. Have you always traded futures? I've been trading equities for a while, thinking about trading futures. Seems futures trend more than equities, thus can reduce risk dramatically. Lately have been a contrarian with equities.

#15     Mar 15, 2003
  6. Pabst

Pabst

Bung, my advice is when getting in wait for a perfect pitch. My slumps seem to occur when I'm either over confident or chasing back recently lost money. At those times my pitch selection becomes, oh well.., less selective. If you get in at what you percieve to be your optimal level, you'll achieve greater confidence that the trade has the potential to be favorable and be more willing to give it the time to work.

#16     Mar 15, 2003
  7. dis

dis

Set a stop loss, a profit target, and go away.

#17     Mar 15, 2003
  8. absolutely -- pick your spots, be willing to sit and do nothing at times.

#18     Mar 15, 2003
  9. You need to spin the wheel a bit slower. You spin it too much....

One of the reasons maybe, you're following the ticks too much. Thinking in more broad market condition, like the trend is up or down may help.

Even if you are not a chart reader, try thinking in range rather than price.

Optional777 Bless,

WDGann

#19     Mar 16, 2003
  10. well said...

I:cool:

#20     Mar 16, 2003