Immortality?!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Katrina Johns, Nov 10, 2002.

1. coming soon to a screen near you..:)

gg thanks for the link. i haven't seen it.

#31     Nov 10, 2002
  2. good post, K. Johns (i refuse to call you "katrina"). what did you mean by this:

"we are the most intelligent beings known (at present)."

are you talking about life on other planets?

#32     Nov 10, 2002
  3. i mean that we are the most intelligent creature in the known universe. that is as of yet none smarter have been discovered (to my knowledge) do you knowanything smarter than homosapien?

#33     Nov 10, 2002
  4. "It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
    -- Bertrand Russell

"One is often told that it is a very wrong thing to attack religion, because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it."
    -- Bertrand Russell

"The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."
    -- Bertrand Russell

"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite."
    -- Bertrand Russell

gotta love bert (he was smarter than all of us put together):)

#34     Nov 10, 2002
  5. "Jesus died to save men -- a small thing for an immortal to do, & didn't save many, anyway; but if he had been damned for the race that would have been act of a size proper to a god, & would have saved the whole race. However, why should anybody want to save the human race, or damn it either? Does God want its society? Does Satan?" MT

christ there's so many holes in this religion stuff you could drive a battleship throught it!:eek:

#35     Nov 10, 2002
  6. "I have felt the gentle brush of a cool summer wind across my face. I have engaged in love and then felt it fall apart in despair and disgrace. I have been to the rivers and to the top of the mountains, and I have laid down in a field of grass looking up to admire the infinite nature of the universe. I felt all cycles of things run through my spirit, the very think that brings essence to my experiences. I have seen all shades of light, felt all ranges of emotions. I have been dirt poor and extremely rich, and all miles inbetween. Yet, when this last breath escapes me, I will know it was all for a beautiful reason and that all things will return from whence they came."

What three memories will you want to quickly replay while your last breath begins to escape you?

#36     Nov 10, 2002
  7. "A God who could make good children as easily a bad, yet preferred to make bad ones; who could have made every one of them happy, yet never made a single happy one; who made them prize their bitter life, yet stingily cut it short; who gave his angels eternal happiness unearned, yet required his other children to earn it; who gave is angels painless lives, yet cursed his other children with biting miseries and maladies of mind and body; who mouths justice, and invented hell -- mouths mercy, and invented hell -- mouths Golden Rules and foregiveness multiplied by seventy times seven, and invented hell; who mouths morals to other people, and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, then tries to shuffle the responsibility for man's acts upon man, instead of honorably placing it where it belongs, upon himself; and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites his poor abused slave to worship him!"
    -- Mark Twain

#37     Nov 10, 2002
  8. "The gods offer no rewards for intellect. There was never one yet that showed any interest in it."
    -- Mark Twain

gods need to give a little more for intellect and a little less for subservience.:(

then rs7, dan_m and i could put up some BIG NUMBERS!

#38     Nov 10, 2002
  9. for me i don't think those three memories will matter at that point in time because all will be over too quickly... for an eternity.:(

what good will three pleasent but fleeting memories do you when you are quickly losing consciousness and with it your mind. all is gone by then and three last memories will do nothing for me ... seconds later it's all gone:(

memories are not independent of the mind and your memories will vanish with you. so what good will they do you then?

#39     Nov 10, 2002
  10. #40     Nov 10, 2002