Immortality?!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Katrina Johns, Nov 10, 2002.

1. bill gates

"Isn't there something special, perhaps even divine, about the human soul?" interviewer Walter Isaacson asks Gates "His face suddenly becomes expressionless," writes Isaacson, "his squeaky voice turns toneless, and he folds his arms across his belly and vigorously rocks back and forth in a mannerism that has become so mimicked at MICROSOFT that a meeting there can resemble a round table of ecstatic rabbis."

"I don't have any evidence on that," answers Gates. "I don't have any evidence of that."

#21     Nov 10, 2002
  2. howard stern hahaha

During his April 12, 1995 E! network show, Stern said "Here's what happens when you die--you sit in a box and get eaten by worms. I guarantee you that when you die, nothing cool happens."

Camille Paglia interviewed Stern in the Advocate in promotion of his book Miss America. Paglia asked "How do you feel about religion and politics?" Stern responded "I'm sickened by all religions. Religion has divided people. I don't think there's any difference between the pope wearing a large hat and parading around with a smoking purse and an African painting his face white and praying to a rock."

#22     Nov 10, 2002
  3. trdrmac

trdrmac

Katrina,

Why not live another 100 years? I guess my thought is why live another 100? Largely I have done a lot of the things that I have wanted to do in my life. And, I get to do the things that I enjoy on a frequent basis. This morning, I had a nice walk with a friend in a huge state park near my house. Last night, dinner with friends. Yesterday, about 8 hours of work at the local food bank.
    I've flown first class, ate in some of New Yorks nicest restaurants, had great sex, not so good sex, been in love, been hurt, on and on.

It has been fun, but is a pain in the ass at the same time.

If it lasted forever, how would you ever enjoy it??

#23     Nov 10, 2002
  4. marlon brando

"At his son Christian's murder trial a few years ago, Brando refused to take a religious oath, stating that he is an atheist."

that's what i'd do, too

#24     Nov 10, 2002
  5. stu

stu

Yes, choose to live forever. When the disease known as death is conquered THEN we're talking. That's when true progress will be made.
    I think put simply that the disposing of raw talent in its prime is one of the things nature will try to correct. The Human Genome Project is a massive step to enable extreme longevity. It is the way to go.
    Not sure about cryonics GG, I think freezing irreparably damages tissue. It may have beeen a hope of the past when less was known about the possibilities of genetic engineering. Anyway who wants a brain like a defrosted tomato... (that is apart from the religious freaks who insist on using theirs like one)

I hope to live forever then I can call in the lifetime guarantee on my Longines watch

Well done Katrina, not sure it’s a good idea to rattle Thunder’s cage though
    :D

trdrmac
    You're kidding, right ??:confused:

#25     Nov 10, 2002

6. what?? are you so sure FPC is a man?:D

#26     Nov 10, 2002

7. i don't follow you. sex --would you ever want to be without, not me. you could have multiple careers you know. i know i have too many interests such that i dabble in them all but am a true master of none. i would love to persue these more fully. as for "hurting", that beats the hell out of feeling NOTHING any day! i'll take emotional pain over death any day of the week. i'm having a ball and i don't want to go! NEVER:D

#27     Nov 10, 2002
  8. stu

stu

I don't think it's multiple careers you get with sex :D

#28     Nov 10, 2002

9. stu, i agree (obviously). do you realize how lucky we are?

we are "alive".
    we are the most intelligent beings known (at present).
    we live in the best part of the whole World.
    we have more opportunity for intellectual grwoth.
    we have it all!!

you might have been a turtle. or a rock. how lucky for you (and me) that we are not.

do you realize how good you have it? how really really good you have it??!!

why would you want all this to end for what ... the very great possibility of NOTHINGNESS?!

what fun will that be :confused:

#29     Nov 10, 2002
  10. i predict this thread becomes...
    Regarding the Existence or Absence of God III

#30     Nov 10, 2002