Immortality?!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Katrina Johns, Nov 10, 2002.

1. "Creationists make it sound as though a "theory" is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night."
    -- Isaac Asimov

LOL

#11     Nov 10, 2002
  2. gg, genes control it all -why not mortality? i believe there will be a time when we will all live forever through genetic engineering (the govt trying to squelch that research now because of their stupid "ethics" and economic concerns -IDIOTS)

Scientific progess/Truth/Knowledge will not be stopped!! Not by religous idiot leaders, not by any govt, not by GOD himself!!:mad:

don't know about cyogenis but it is something i want to explore. interesting questions..:mad:

#12     Nov 10, 2002
  3. "I am an atheist, out and out. It took me a long time to say it. I've been an atheist for years and years, but somehow I felt it was intellectually unrespectable to say one was an atheist, because it assumed knowledge that one didn't have. Somehow it was better to say one was a humanist or an agnostic. I finally decided that I'm a creature of emotion as well as of reason. Emotionally I am an atheist. I don't have the evidence to prove that God doesn't exist, but I so strongly suspect he doesn't that I don't want to waste my time."
    -- Isaac Asimov

i don't have the time to waste either, Isaac, i prefer to use my time productively (such as i am doing right now posting ET:) )

#13     Nov 10, 2002
  4. "To rebel against a powerful political, economic, religious, or social establishment is very dangerous and very few people do it, except, perhaps, as part of a mob. To rebel against the "scientific" establishment, however, is the easiest thing in the world, and anyone can do it and feel enormously brave, without risking as much as a hangnail. Thus, the vast majority, who believe in astrology and think that the planets have nothing better to do than form a code that will tell them whether tomorrow is a good day to close a business deal or not, become all the more excited and enthusiastic about the bilge when a group of astronomers denounces it."
    -- Isaac Asimov

#14     Nov 10, 2002
  5. "Imagine the people who believe such things and who are not ashamed to ignore, totally, all the patient findings of thinking minds through all the centures since the Bible was written. And it is these ignorant people, the most uneducated, the most unimaginative, the most unthinking among us, who would make themselves the guides and leaders of us all; who would force their feeble and childish beliefs on us; who would invade our schools and libraries and homes. I personally resent it bitterly."
    -- Isaac Asimov

as i do Isaac, as i do:mad:

#15     Nov 10, 2002
  6. "All religions, with their gods, demigods, prophets, messiahs and saints, are the product of the fancy and credulity of men who have not yet reached the full development and complete possession of their intellectual powers."
    -- Mikhail Bakunin

i just luv having my own thread ... :p

#16     Nov 10, 2002
  7. trdrmac

trdrmac

Katrina,

Sort of an interesting thought of living forever. Personally, not me, life has been good, but I would not want to go another 100 years. Don't want to float in Heaven either, just want to give my organs, and be cremated or buried in some guys lake, whichever is easier.

As for the issue of science, what I would rather see is people have a better quality of life. There are parts of the world where living to 5 is almost an anomaly. That a kid could step on a landmine and via stem cells grow a new foot seems really kool. Or that a paralyzed person could walk, or a diabetic could live a life without losing vision or limbs. Whatever, that just really seems promising to me.

#17     Nov 10, 2002

8. why don't you wish to live another 100 years (or more)?? WHY NOT?

#18     Nov 10, 2002
  9. "You believe in a book that has talking animals, wizards, witches, demons, sticks turning into snakes, food falling from the sky, people walking on water, and all sorts of magical, absurd and primitive stories, and you say that we are the ones that need help?"
    -- Dan Barker, Losing Faith in Faith: From Preacher to Atheist

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    :D :D :D

#19     Nov 10, 2002
  10. Katrina Johns,

you might find this site interesting:
    http://www.celebatheists.com/

p.s. it's obvious you're not really a female. :p anyone see FasterPussycat lately??

#20     Nov 10, 2002