Immortality?!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Katrina Johns, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Anyone wish for immortality?

I, personally, want to live forever. I don't want to die. I don't want to go to heaven. I want to stay right here (and on ET) in this lifeform forever.

I am having too much fun ... I WANT TO LIVE FOREVER!:cool:

2. Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
    Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing?
    Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing?
    Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God?

"If the gods listened to the prayers of men, all humankind would quickly perish since they constantly pray for many evils to befall one another."
    -- Epicurus, The Essential Epicurus

3. "People go to church for the same reasons they go to a tavern: to stupefy themselves, to forget their misery, to imagine themselves, for a few minutes anyway, free and happy."
    -- Mikhail Aleksandrovich Bakunin

Jack Daniels, Cuervo Gold, Jim Beam --i have reverence for you all:D

4. i dunno, i'm not sure i'd want FOREVER. but a significantly longer time would sure be nice... say, another 2000 years. yeah that'd do really nice...

and, oh yeah, definitely here on earth. screw that heaven crap. earth would be WAY better. then again, maybe heaven can offer something better...

hey god! you there? send us a brochure or something will ya?

5. "The fact that a believer is happier than a sceptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality."
    -- George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

ain't it the truth...

6. I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires.
    -- Susan Brownell Anthony

oh yes Susan you most assuredly are correct on this...

(thunderdolt are you listening):D

7. dan what would you give for another 50 years? (beyond 100)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2002/07/020710081137.htm

http://www.infoaging.org/b-cal-home.html

8. "Every pulpit is a pillory, in which stands a hired culprit, defending the justice of his own imprisonment"
    --Robert Green Ingersoll

it is so true, sadly:(

9. "If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name at a Swiss bank."
    -- Woody Allen

:p

and ...

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work ... I want to achieve it through not dying."
    -- Woody Allen,

10. i actually think it might happen in the future, with all this genetic engineering stuff going on. who knows? maybe not to the point of immortality, but there will probably be some pretty amazing advancements.

what do you guys think of cryonics? do you think it's possible to bring a dead brain back to life that's been frozen? say 100 years after you die, someone puts your brain in a perfectly working body, do you think it could still work? imo, it would still be you because i don't believe in souls. i believe our brains are who we are. i think it would be as if you fell asleep for a long time, without dreaming, and now you're awake again. i wonder if it'll ever be possible..

this makes me sceptical: i've heard that when people have strokes, or if their heart stops for a while, they can get brain damage. what causes the brain damage? if you can get some brain damage from a stroke, i doubt you could die and be frozen fast enough to not suffer a good amount of brain damage. i'm no expert in this area, though.

#10     Nov 10, 2002