Immigration question

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bond_trad3r, May 16, 2011.

1. This is in response to the racist immigration thread. Why not have a means test -- if you're net worth is over 100k usd, then your free to immigrate. Have the lottery system but also allow high worth individuals to buy their way into the country. Let's be frank, we need their money and they can take care of themselves.

2. Dude, we already do; check out L and E class visas or this story:

"By Todd Bensman
    www.GlobalPost.com

SAN ANTONIO, TX. -- Hard work and acumen earned Pierre Oliver Gama Valdes fabulous affluence at 34.

As a Mexican living in the sprawling capital of Mexico City, however, neither wit nor wealth could protect his family from criminal gangs’ extortionist threats. On the contrary, success made Gama-Valdes a marked man, and left him in constant fear for his wife and two children.

In the U.S., however, Valdes’ money grants him privileges — explicit ones, sanctioned by the federal government. A $100,000 investment and a bit of paper work bought him and his family a ticket out of the lawlessness spawned by Mexico’s civil drug war. The investment and the visa it got him enabling Gama-Valdes and his family to settle as legal residents in San Antonio, Texas. And it put them on a clear path to citizenship, with almost no questions asked. "

http://www.toddbensman.com/Bensman/wealthiest_drug_war_refugees.html

Seneca

3. That answers my question. Thank you so much!!

4. 'nother story:

"MCALLEN — Rosendo Gonzalez sought a way for his family to leave Mexico when his wife was robbed at gunpoint.

A self-made businessman with a close-knit family, Gonzalez, 47, is one of a number of wealthy Mexican nationals looking to escape a violence-torn country who are taking advantage of a U.S. immigration program that promises green cards in return for investment.

Gonzalez intends to spend up to $5 million opening an Hidalgo County-based plastics factory that will complement the one he founded in Monterrey when he was 27. The investment will help Gonzalez, who has had permanent residency here since he was a child, bring his family to the United States.

“My heart is still over there with my family,” Gonzalez said April 15 during a trip to look at a warehouse he is considering purchasing. “I have to do something to get my family out.”

Intrigued by the EB-5 program, dozens of Mexican families are traveling across the border to a nondescript McAllen office building."
    http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/articles/wealthy-125670-mcallen-mexican.html