immigrants headed home

Discussion in 'Economics' started by zdreg, Mar 3, 2009.

is this good for the future of the US

1. yes

53 vote(s)
    53.5%
  2. no

40 vote(s)
    40.4%
  3. unsure

6 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. #41     Mar 3, 2009
  2. holy cow, this must finally be time to buy, if YOU are saying something pessemeistic

#42     Mar 3, 2009
  3. The only way to get an H1-B is to have a job or job offer in the United States. So, obviously, the employer of those people disagrees with you. Since it's the employer's call, I think that's a futile argument.

But, you miss the point again: They don't want the visa anymore. America is no longer land of opportunity. Since I'm assuming we both live in America, this is what we should really be worried about.

#43     Mar 3, 2009
  4. x2012

x2012

Did any of you even read the article carefully?

#44     Mar 3, 2009
  5. the employer likes them for one reason, and one reason only they are INDENTURED SERVENTS, and function as a baseball bat to tech labor, undercutting them as scab slaves

#45     Mar 3, 2009
  6. Specterx

Specterx

In the first place, "they" clearly do want the visa. Check the article: the line for visas used to be more than a decade long. Somehow I think we'd be able to stomach a reduction in demand.

In the second place, ask yourself why employers are so eager to hire H1-Bs. You get more or less the same output - maybe lose a little quality, but who's keeping track these days? - for half the wage and fewer benefits. The worker can't quit or he loses the visa, and he's unlikely to make noises about his pay, benefits, or working conditions. Sounds like a fantastic deal for the employer, not so much for American society at large.

#46     Mar 3, 2009
  7. if Americans are hired instead, that's more money American employees will have and generally will be spent in the American economy.
    A portion of money H1Bs earn is often sent back to their home country and thus doesn't benefit the American economy

#47     Mar 3, 2009
  8. Somehow I think "I am outta here with vested options" CEO doesn't care about that.

#48     Mar 3, 2009
  9. Specterx

Specterx

If corporate dividends have to be cut in order for American workers to be paid more, I think that's a great trade. For the past 25-30 years, productivity increases have gone into dividends while wages have been flat or falling, making the rich richer, fueling stock market bubbles, increasing inequality and decreasing social mobility. It would be fantastic if wages started rising again. I honestly don't care whether the stock market ever makes new highs.

#49     Mar 3, 2009
  10. Ah come on ! I was an H1B once and I stand by my statement. Barely one in five can compete on skills alone.

And to those who hate my cheap laborer self... I was always paid more than my local compatriots and I received my H1B after paying dues for years in Grad School. It did help that I did not work for a H1B dependent corporation.

#50     Mar 3, 2009