immigrants headed home

Discussion in 'Economics' started by zdreg, Mar 3, 2009.

is this good for the future of the US

1. yes

53 vote(s)
    53.5%
  2. no

40 vote(s)
    40.4%
  3. unsure

6 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. Exactly. And without skilled immigrants, who will the entrepreneurs hire? Walk into any math, engineering, economics or finance program in any university in America and count the number of American faces. There are almost none. Americans have become lazy. They're all doing majors like "women's studies" (a.k.a. "lessons on the acquisition of government cheese").

#11     Mar 3, 2009
  2. HB1 Visa workers are not exactly skilled. They are just dirt cheap. As the saying, you get what you pay for. You can throw them a thanks for the declining quality of service & IT products in the US.

#12     Mar 3, 2009
  3. +1

H1B system is riddled with fraud
    for jobs in fields such as IT, US does not need more "skilled" immigrants coming over. There are more than enough unemployed US IT workers according to articles I have read.
    for truly exceptional immigrant talent, I make an exception though

#13     Mar 3, 2009
  4. No, the Americans are in Finance & Law. I don't know what school you are looking at, but finance is predominantly whites.

There is little interest in sciences & math because those jobs are aimed at dirt cheap labor, aka HB1 Visas. Or to be outsourced. In general, the youth has lost much hope about the labor markets and just aim for the glorified Financial & Legal industries.

#14     Mar 3, 2009
  5. Finance?? How about Accounting???
    As far as I am concern most people in business schools hate finance and accounting, lets not even mention economics.

I have my BS in Economics but I prefer to work in Accounting, I am good at it and I have little competition.

#15     Mar 3, 2009
  6. gnome

gnome

We should welcome as many leaving as possible for whatever their reasons.

When the excesses have been wrung out and it's time for true economic recovery... I suspect we will find that there are not enough jobs to go around... other than the "make work" kind... where Gummint pays one guy to dig a hole and another to fill it up.

#16     Mar 3, 2009
  7. gnome

gnome

I started out in accounting, but ended in science. My high school buddy stayed in accounting and now owns a couple of Burger Kings as well as other stuff...

He said being in accounting exposed him to good business opportunities..

#17     Mar 3, 2009
  8. Specterx

Specterx

I often think that outsourcing is only a good deal when cost is rated as vastly more important than quality of service.

Case in point, my friend works for a small Internet retailer in SF, and they outsourced some IT functions to a firm in Mumbai. Long story short, it's been a disaster; the quality of the work has been terrible, and the Indian liason in SF (who was supposed to make sure everything went smoothly) got homesick and left after a month or two. This work is now being brought back to America, and couldn't have required all that much specialized skill in the first place: for the time being it's simply been absorbed by the existing U.S. employees working a bit more intensely.

#18     Mar 3, 2009
  9. now lawyers are getting hit

http://www.boston.com/jobs/news/articles/2009/03/02/boom_times_turn_bleak_for_boston_lawyers/

what careers, if any, are safe havens for American workers?

#19     Mar 3, 2009
  10. ----------------------------------------------

It's not really that, as China is quite totalitarian and so is India. Neither are the fairy tales they are made out to be, even as a wealthy person there you have to become very desentisized and essentially sell your soul.

--------------------------------------------------

wow!, India is totalitarian? What planet are you living on? It is the largest democracy in the world. It has it's own share of problems like every other country. But governments change in elections if the people don't like it.

#20     Mar 3, 2009