I'mhaving a serious problem keeping my profits

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Kovacs, Aug 21, 2007.

1. 2000grand, thismorning is done. get to be realistic abot trading. never give too much expectation about a trade, if you want to do swing, you may end up with huge loss. but for a day trade, that is very nice. market is endless, why people fail, they just donot know what they are doing, they want certainity, that is no-sense.

there is no sure thing inthemarket, taht is why it is an art.

#31     Aug 22, 2007
  2. neke

neke

You missed at least another 3 grand

#32     Aug 22, 2007
  3. I am not doing swing trading. I shorted VMW at 73.85*1000shares ($0.5 stop loss), covered it at 69.3. a little better, but never try to pick the best profit (market changes direction with no pre-notice!

bought BSCI at 70 with 500shares and sodl it at 72.5, a little bit too early. I may short it tommorrow.

that is ok. never can get the maximum dollars for a trade. the market is endless, greed will blink your decision. to me, if $0.3 stop loss, 1 point gain is great for me. $0.5 stop loss, if I can gain 2+ is super great.

I just love trading.

#33     Aug 22, 2007
  4. they do not know what they are doing, they have no idea what profit they want to take, sometimes they saw a stock goes up sharply after they kill their holding, next time they will expect the same, so they changed their original plan, they will hold a trade too long even the trade reaches their profit target, they expect more, then it turns into loss, then they will change their mind again, and on and on.... it seems they are manipulated by the market, no matter what they change, they just can not get it, the real problme is they abandon their trading plan easily, they have no rules, the market is endless, you must define a start and an end for a trade based on your timeframe style (to take 1 point gain in a swing trade is not a good trading practice, I find I just fit the minute to minute trading style, even though I know for example CROX short today, it will drop at least 3 points to 5 points in the day row, but I will have bad sleep or worry about sudden run -up becuase of some unexpecetd news, worrying about the position will cosume lots of my focus, I know I have this weakness and I can not conquer it, thus minute to minute trading style fits me). after you killed your trade within the desired profita range, you sould be proud of self, while not regret how much you missed. trading from this point of view is very boring, just routine work.

try to help those poor souls who did not get it yet!

#34     Aug 22, 2007
  5. i have the same problem sometimes too bro you're not alone.

#35     Aug 22, 2007
  6. Trading today was a BITCH!. If you lost money today, who can blame you.

#36     Aug 22, 2007
  7. Withdraw profits into a savings account. If you start with a 100K account and make 5K withdraw the 5K. That way you keep all your profits.

#37     Aug 22, 2007
  8. mropp

mropp

What broker are you using that is allowing you to short IPOs?

#38     Aug 23, 2007
  9. mde2004

mde2004

No way you are shorting VMW unless you are an mm.

#39     Aug 23, 2007
  10. I just want to thank those that have contributed many positive and understanding posts. I am in a similar situation, where I just can't let go of the loss, and don't get in when all the conditions are right. I get zapped by the unexpected.. step back and examine what I'm doing, then a quick rise (2-3 days) and I miss the boat, then jump in and get sucked dry again.

Everything that was posted I know, I have read, I have tried to pound into my brain, yet fail to do.

One thing for sure.. the market isn't out to get ME, but it is against those without the mental edge.

Somebody has to loose the money, for the rest to take it. So far I'm doing a good job of supporting you all! :O

Anyway.. good thread. Thank you.

#40     Aug 23, 2007