Imagine that ANYBODY can become very rich ...

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by harrytrader, Nov 2, 2003.

1. ... what would be the consequences ?

All right it's my silly question of the month for fun - as usual - but think about it a little :D

2. what the hell ever happened to Richard Ney? His reports used to be a trip!

3. then the idea of 'very rich' would move. If anyone can make €10million a year, NO dude will bake the breads they do now for 2 bucks, so prices will move up (to motivate people to do shit) and then you arent so rich anymore with your 10 million. Then 200 million might be the border of 'rich'

:)

Tiki

4. Cutten

Cutten

Very few consequences, since (almost) anybody can become rich now.

5. You got me on this one, harrytrader! I thought this would be some sort of spam, I didn't suspect you would be behind this thread.

6. Anybody can; they are consistently choosing not to for a very wide spectrum of reasons.

Most people find it very very difficult to leave their very "safe" ways of living and survival.

Even worse, 70% of of the populations of Italy, Germany, Britain, France and the US suffer disruptions that have an average of 40% decline in life style.

The major consequences of being rich through investing that I have personally seen with all acquaintences are:

1. 4 out of 5 will not embark on any serious effort. Primarily because of "fears". The fears are not unfounded. Fear is a pervasive force that is ground into individuals through their experiences. Look at any ET member and how they comment. You can find a fear associated with how they got frozen in space.

2. People who do invest by making a serious effort, become rich and they adopt new life styles. Not show off stuff like capital goods but more like quality of life oriented processes for living.

3. Rich people who make money through their personal efforts, usually are helpful to others because they can see the potential in others. It is the opposite of being antagonistic. A self selecting kind of familiarity.

4. Rich people value their time. They contribute time more significantly than just money. Almost all rich people are the ones who cause things to be done. The free enterprise system is a nice pervasive example. It is run by rich people.

Anyone who is not rich decided not to be rich. You can find out why they have made the decision very quickly and easily. It is always a conscious decision backed up by attitude, pervasive "self-protection", and fear of "doing" anything "unsafe".

Try making a list of such people. You will see the reasons why just pop right out without fail. It is actually harder to not be rich than it is to be rich. Everyone who isn't make a conscious choice to not be.

Mr Market doesn't want to be rich he says because he likes to do his job at work. He actually works at a place that rich people made for him to do the job he says he does. He went to Wharton which focusses to some extent on wealth building. He worked with Keim on the two C's. He goes for CE stuff instead MBA stuff.

Most of the guys and gals in my classes at Wharton, considered their options differently and decided to get rich. Most of them were intrigued with the potential of the free enterprise system and especially the financial industry. I especially liked the evening division where people were sent there by their employers to "get smart". The people I liked best were guys that came back to school to learn how to make something that they personally started into a bigger and better outfit that could really make the market.

What makes people rich is attitude and not necessarily brains.

Decide today to be rich. Can the crap (attitude) and get on with it.

7. omcate

omcate

It will be awful. No one is going to serve me lunch or dinner at the restaurants. I'll be starved to death.

:( :( :(
    :mad: :mad: :mad:

:p :p :p

8. Here is a paradox. We already have 2/3rds of the world "poor" while 1/3 of the world is "wealthy"

This cannot continue.

Personally, without putting myself into this, I have some friends that have made several million dollars and have lost it all and now only make money in the hundreds of thousands.....These friends claim it does not matter for them...but this is because of major life changing experiences.....

It's the "getting there" that is challenging for some. It's the "keeping it" that is challenging and a reality for those who are there. Question: WHAT DO YOU LOVE?

I find that on extreme ends of the "Poor to Wealthy" scale are differing stress levels....and it is personal and if one can handle it....

There have been reports of many reunions of lottery winners....and you would be surprised at to how many of them said it was the worst thing that happened to them. Many of them lost all of their money.....some could handle the responsibility....

The point of this thread is how would our surroundings change. This seemingly meaningless hypothetical example, brings out the deeper question: WHAT DO YOU CONSIDER IMPORTANT?

If we examine primitive driving forces in interpersonal relationships.....a woman is looking for a good breeder......A man is hunting........this is a huge over-simplification, but I do not want to bore you. So our world primitively speaking would remain the same....but values might be discussed further here....I am curious what others post here.

Michael B.

9. That is very true. Even some moron slaving away for $20k a year is actually among the richest individuals in the world. And if after years of hard work and loyalty the system gives him a promotion and a raise, or maybe the union negotiates better conditions for those "poor" workers and he ends up making $200k a year, then you really have to wonder, What does a US worker have that makes his time worth a hundred times more than the same kind of person in the rest of the world where software engineers, doctors and lawyers consider $50k a year an exceptionally high salary?

10. in a nutshell, more effective use of resources with a payoff that has built up over time:

rule of law + positioning + long term investment in a quality infrastructure. that's it. no monopoly on any of these, just a disparity gap that will eventually close

#10     Nov 3, 2003