Imagine a World Without Free Knowledge

Discussion in 'Politics' started by tradingjournals, Jan 18, 2012.

1. I visited wikipedia, and I got this:

"Imagine a World
    Without Free Knowledge".

"For over a decade, we have spent millions of hours building the largest encyclopedia in human history. Right now, the U.S. Congress is considering legislation that could fatally damage the free and open Internet. For 24 hours, to raise awareness, we are blacking out Wikipedia".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

I would not be surprised that a guy like Romney would support the legislation, and a guy like Ron Paul would oppose it. What do these guys think about the legislation?

2. achilles28

achilles28

SOPA hands the Government unilateral power to shutdown any website that so much as *links* to copyrighted content. No charges, no hearing, no trial.

Like the NDAA, Congress is doing away with due process.

Ron Paul actively opposes SOPA and has come out against it publicly, several times.

On the otherhand, Mitt Romney said he would have signed the NDAA into law, if President.

3. stu

stu

Bad legislation has far reaching conseque██████████████████████████████████████████████████████ree speech

4. achilles28

achilles28

Clever :)

5. An internet based on the Chinese model. That's what the corporations want. This whole information being shared between people all over the planet thing is gumming up the works. Control is what's desired, not innovation or the free flow of information.

6. achilles28

achilles28

Exactly. Alternative news is exploding while establishment mouthpieces are cratering (TV and print). People want the truth. Not slick, yellow-journalist crap.

7. https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitio...while-protecting-open-and-innovative-internet

"While we believe that online piracy by foreign websites is a serious problem that requires a serious legislative response, we will not support legislation that reduces freedom of expression, increases cybersecurity risk, or undermines the dynamic, innovative global Internet.

Any effort to combat online piracy must guard against the risk of online censorship of lawful activity and must not inhibit innovation by our dynamic businesses large and small."

8. Mercor

Mercor

I do see a lot of ripped off content, intellectual property being lifted and used to gain profit for the lifter.

9. achilles28

achilles28

So why don't copyright owners sue pirates?

10. Mercor

Mercor

Part of this new law deals with foreign pirates.
    The current law is inadequate to deal with this issue.

#10     Jan 18, 2012