Imaginary "Don't risk your money on myths"

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Argent, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Argent

Argent

And as for you, your + only means that you can't think for yourself and have nothing ora-ginal to add.

#11     Aug 15, 2011
  2. kut2k2

kut2k2

Argent, what do you think of using a spreadsheet as a backtest platform? I've had some mixed success, but mainly due to my recent discovery that I was measuring price noise all wrong and I have to reformulate my metric. That of course is not a limitation of the platform, just my own myopia on a fundamental trading component. Your inputs welcome.

#12     Aug 15, 2011
  3. Argent

Argent

Sorry, forgot to answer the last question. The time period is one minute. The data is EasySignal OHLC. No volume or market internals or anything else. As much data as ET thinks I should. EasySignal's data goes further back than I usually care to test.

#13     Aug 15, 2011
  4. Argent

Argent

I have never tried it, not being an Excel wizard. The thought of the sheet sizes required is daunting. Interesting that you need to measure noise, whatever that is. I never found that to be helpfool.

#14     Aug 15, 2011
  5. Samsara

Samsara

I'm taking 0 positions, so allow me to hazard an illustration. The patterns intradaybill locates are akin to:
    <iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WImWuxHbQCw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Whereas Argent sees:
    <iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Fgwr3wrenkQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The only difference is bill holds them to be mutually exclusive in their ability to produce certain effects. Perhaps they are, but it's more likely his domain knowledge has been honed so tightly to only see the fleeting hardcore dubstep funk in the noise versus the sloshing of bacteria in the bowels of an oil tanker.

#15     Aug 15, 2011
  6. Argent

Argent

As a reminder, here is the code structure:

//retrace to open system structure
    //variable declarations
    //function declarations
    //set up chart parameters
    //backtesting code
    {
    //determine the time
    //initialize variables
    //establish trade day validity
    //test for time window
    {
    //trade loop
    {
    //set up trade entry conditions
    //entry code
    //stop loss code
    //profit stop code
    //end of day exit code
    //profit calculation and "helper" code
    }
    }
    }

Let's start at the top. Anyone care to suggest what variables we need to test the hypothesis that a retrace to the open is tradeable?

#16     Aug 15, 2011
  7. Argent

Argent

Thank you, Sam and Sara, I listen to classical music while I watch the market, trade or code.

#17     Aug 15, 2011
  8. Samsara

Samsara

Now, we all know no real Texan would be caught dead admitting to that. Better fire a few rounds at those birds in your garden.

#18     Aug 15, 2011
  9. Argent

Argent

Hadda pop a bobcat inna ass t'other day. Nayber hadda pop a cougar. Wife says we shud feedum. Feedum whut, ah sez, yer dam cat?

#19     Aug 15, 2011
  10. Argent

Argent

Apropos that we are approaching a retrace to the open. Stumbled and fumbled past all those Fibs and Dows Blowinski doesn't believe in.

#20     Aug 15, 2011