I'm starting to think that < 1 % of people on elitetrader are actually profitable

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Sky123987, Mar 9, 2008.

1. patoo

patoo

:D Well said, Fully!

#21     Mar 10, 2008
  2. then how much is it?

#22     Mar 10, 2008
  3. JB3

JB3

Isn't that what accoutants are for? Why would anyone making money try to do their own taxes...especially if their accountants or tax lawyers know all the loopholes and tax breaks?

#23     Mar 10, 2008
  4. Simply look at when most of the posters on here were registered.

There are countless reasons people reregister or leave ET, but for the most part, it is probably because they are new or no longer trading.

#24     Mar 10, 2008
  5. I do my own taxes because I've always done them myself and I like to understand the tax laws. Trading futures makes for a easy tax return and gets the tax break of 60/40 treatment.

#25     Mar 10, 2008
  6. dtan1e

dtan1e

lets see, 10% & <1% say = 0.5%
    the average => 5.25% r profitable ?

#26     Mar 10, 2008
  7. Johno

Johno

brokerboy

03-10-08 12:10 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote from cold:

so far in financial life I am a broke loser
    but what really amuses me
    I happen to know that 98% here are even bigger losers than me
    I at least have the knowledge, most importantly of who I am, and then the world
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't sell yourself short your a bigger loser then you credit yourself.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My thoughts in a nutshell Brokerboy!

Regarding taxation, I studied Accountancy at Uni and have decades of business experience, my business partner and wife is a CPA with many years of public practice experience yet we still employ the best Accountant we know [A CA] to deal with our Taxation and Regulatory affairs. Our Taxation and Business affairs would rarely if ever be discussed outside of a very close circle of people [need to know basis] so I don't find it strange that people would feel uncomfortable in discussing Taxation issues on an open forum! If we did our own taxes and then had an audit turn pear shape the spectre of conspiricy to defraud and accompanying heavy fines and/or jail time might very well rear it's ugly head.So, not smart to place yourself in a precarious position due to gaps in knowledge of ever changing tax laws!
    The legal profession has a saying :-

A PERSON WHO REPRESENTS THEMSELVES IS REPRESENTED BY A FOOL!
    I suggest that in many cases this also applies to Accounting as well!

Best Regards
    Johno

#27     Mar 10, 2008
  8. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

I don't believe there is such a high failure rate on *this* forum. I would go for 40% winner on stocks and 20% on futures compared to a 10% for global community including investors.

There are true skilled professionals on this board, and they are more than just 1%, or even 10%... It's easy to pinpoint who knows it and who doesn't...

As Don Bright said one time, there are just 5000 professionals compared to millions of investors, and if you are in the first category, you have fairly good odds of doing it... after the necessary learning...

#28     Mar 10, 2008
  9. Liger86

Liger86

Are people who stay up all night (on a monday morning) in that 10% of traders who bring in profits?

Oh i feel bad for those in cali who also trade - which brings me to think that people who are on west coast are not as profitable as people on east coast because I wouldn't want to have to get up at 06:30 and make sure i didn't miss a good entry.

just saying

#29     Mar 10, 2008
  10. Johno

Johno

lIGER 86,

It,s monday evening where I am.

Johno

#30     Mar 10, 2008