I'm sorry I voted for Obama

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tsing Tao, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Epic

Epic

Not trying to bag on you here, but this paragraph is the disturbing reality of many in this country in 2008. Especially the second sentence, "thought it would speak volumes for the nature of this country to finally elect an African-American as a President".

Countless business studies have shown that if you hire someone based at all on race, gender, etc.. it is to the detriment of the company. The same applies to elected officials. Simply wanting to break a stereotype is an absolutely horrible reason to vote for someone. The only thing that matters is competence.

Much to the chagrin of the GOP faithful here though, IMO Obama was the better candidate in '08. But there was nothing to be gained by him being black. The only reasonable argument in favor of a racially motivated vote would be an attempt to rid this country of racism, but the reality is that racism didn't cause our runaway debt, the housing collapse, or insider corruption. While tragic, racism is not our fundamental issue here. It must be dealt with in a much more personal manner, and is really now outside the scope of the federal government. Electing a black president wasn't going to do anything for racism in America.

It was unfortunate that neither candidate in '08 was up to the real task.

#41     Mar 27, 2012
  2. rew

rew

Fortunately I never dream about politicians. My nightmares are bad enough as it is.

#42     Mar 27, 2012
  3. For those of you with very short memories, let me provide a refresher. Obama did not run in a vacuum, he ran against a very particular person. Imagine what a "paradise" it would have been to have McCain as president. Let's input the ingredients:

Father&Grandfather full 4 star admirals, McCain graduates 5th from the bottom from Naval Academy. Has a penchant for drinking, crashing planes, womanizing in his youth. If you gonna hit Obama as an affirmative action candidate, which is what asking for his college records is, McCain is a backbencher academically. Plus, McCain had an entitlement attitude. Without his father&grandfather McCain could have been tossed from the navy instead of retiring at rank of captain (never even made into rear admiral lower half, what a shame)

By his own admission, John McCain did not understand economy as well as he should. His primary economics adviser Phill Gramm said the following in "JULY of 2008..." You've heard of mental depression; this is a mental recession... He also said "We have sort of become a nation of whiners. You just hear this constant whining". It is worth noting, that the republican party's current goldenboy Mitt Romney laughed at the idea of a recession in republican debates during that primary season of 2008. He basically said democrats were talking down the economy.

It is important to note that John McCain was a)old b) had bouts with skin cancer. Given those criteria, the selection of VP becomes important because the president may not finish his term. John McCain picked a brainless bimbo from backwater Alaska. Her ignorance was lampooned on saturday night live. The all time gotcha question was asking what kind of newspapers/magazines she read and she said all of them and could not even name one. Because of her MILF looks she did grab the attention of certain male members of society voting with their penises. If this woman was in charge of the free world, god save us all.

McCain's bad temper and his belligerent foreign policy prescriptions were also a cause of concern. McCain is always the first to demand US start bombing someone. Because McCain never made it into a flag officer position, he never understood the gravity of committing men and resources to a cause of dubious value. With John McCain in charge, we would have been at war with Iran by now.

Let's summarize. Obama ran against a miserable ignorant old man with a bimbo vice president. McCain would not have fixed the economy one bit and potentially gotten US into more worthless wars or even a nuclear confrontation with Russia/China.

I have never regretted my vote for Obama because I knew what I was voting for(for reasons aforementioned instead of hope&change). On this site over the years I have always maintained (you can look at my post history) that Obama stepped into an elevator shaft with no elevator and had a bigger chance of being the next Carter as opposed to FDR.

I am grateful I don't have to see Condi Rice's ugly face as secretary of state, or idiot Ashcroft's face period, or Cheney's talking from the corner of his mouth, or getting endlessly bombarded by terror threat level warnings etc.

#43     Mar 27, 2012
  4. [​IMG]

#44     Mar 27, 2012
  5. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Given what I know now, I would have voted for McCain each day of the week.

And twice on Sunday.

#45     Mar 27, 2012
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

Me too, of course I did vote for McCain. And I don't even like McCain. But I saw Obama for what he really is the first time I heard him speak.

#46     Mar 27, 2012
  7. You are not very bright then. It should be obvious that John McCain does not particularly care or concern himself with such things as the economy, he just likes to bomb things. He is a self appointed national security guru with a very narrow caveman view of the world.

John McCain is enjoying a posh lifestyle because he married a rich beer heiress. I forgot to mention his 7 houses and his remark about rich person being defined as someone earning at least 5 or 10 million a year. If you are riding the coattails of your wife and your family before that, you are, in a way, no better than person on welfare.

#47     Mar 27, 2012
  8. pspr

pspr

+1000

Obama - Biden
    Dope and Mange

#48     Mar 27, 2012
  9. Lucrum

Lucrum

And despite all that I'd still rather have had him as POTUS than Obama Bin Lyin.

#49     Mar 27, 2012
  10. rew

rew

Given what I know now, I would still do what I did in 2008 -- vote for a third party candidate, largely as a protest vote. Indeed, I will no doubt do that in 2012.

Obama is a disaster. McCain would have been no less of a disaster. It takes a peculiar sort of simple minded partisanship to believe that if the opposition candidate is bad then your candidate must be good.

McCain would not have rammed Obamacare down our throats but he would have gotten us into a war with Iran by now. Indeed, he probably would have started it in his first year in office. Of course this country still seems to be headed into a war with Iran, Obama's election merely delayed the schedule. When that war comes it will be a disaster. It will make the Iraq war look like a towering success. I hope all you neocons griping about $4 a gallon gas are happy with the $7 gas you'll have after the war with Iran begins. The budget would be just as hopelessly imbalanced under McCain as it is under Obama. The Bill of Rights would still be in tatters, indeed one of the greatest enemies of the Bill of Rights in congress is John McCain. He is a big advocate of the Patriot Act, was a cosponsor of the police state provisions in the NDAA, and favors the Department of Homeland Security and the growth of the NSA. McCain has long learned to stop worrying and love Big Brother.

Add to that the fact that in his speeches back in 2008 it was obvious that John McCain was beginning to edge into senility.

#50     Mar 27, 2012