Im shorting Goog on Monday

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by jreynolds212, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Godd call if you did short it

#51     Jan 23, 2008
  2. Madmoney

Madmoney

#52     Jan 31, 2008
  3. Madmoney

Madmoney

You said this Jan 6th. 12 trading days later this stock was as low as $519. Nice one.

However I do agree with you where a ton of other traders do not. You are so right, we are not in a recession. Those other traders should be ashamed of themselves. LOL

This is what we call the start of a DEPRESSION.

Fed cuts 1.25% in such a short time and the markets do nothing.

Its over. The game is over folks.

:D :D :D

#53     Jan 31, 2008
  4. good point. chart looks good too. i started my short today. not much of course :) DROP!

#54     Jan 31, 2008
  5. I hope your shorts go deeper in the money after the bell.

Would love to see a another 10% haircut. But its a four horseman stock and invincible?:D

No doubt they beat but all about forard guidance and keeping up the insane pace its had. We'll see. Seems like all stocks want to dump these days reafter earnings...maybe they prove differently?....GL.

#55     Jan 31, 2008
  6. I have added to my short all the way down from when I started posting. Hehe. Buy as you go up, short all the way down. The news cant be good if Goog is doing this bad before the call. My guess is that Goog will lose about 10-15% of its value during the afterhours session. Then it will lose another 20% in the next 3 months.

Adding to my short...

#56     Jan 31, 2008
  7. how the hell do you quantify a statement like that (using pre report performance as a causation to predict bad earnings)? The stock is already down 27% from peak levels between this and last earnings.

Earnings look forward -- and that says nothing of the positive effect on sentiment for google investors may feel as advertisers tighten their ad spending on noneffective forms and focus on areas with the highest return (online). There's always a search for an 'invulnerable portion of the mkt'

Take a look on the yahoo boards. 90% of the posters are bearish; sound just like you. But how has being bearish at -these- price levels worked out for you ?

Not saying its going to 1000, but at $535 with $20 in 08 earnings, they are a 27 forward pe. Even $18 of earnings is a 29 forward PE. Who's to say 5 year growth rates won't pick up with all of this liquidity flood that the FOMC is providing (via low int rates, additional monetary supply, etc) ? the dollar may go to shit, but corporate earnings just get richer. [as evidenced in the 02-07 runup]

Judging stocks at earnings via pre earnings performance is next to impossible, but I don't see the broad mkt selling off today either. I'd be impressed if so many yahoo board posters were actually right (for a change).

regardless, i think there's 100 points of easy upside to going long goog here (for the next month) vs maybe 50 pts downside.

#57     Jan 31, 2008
  8. my target is 370 by nov 1. systems are showing a large bearish bias in the issue and are recommending massive short-side positions.

#58     Jan 31, 2008
  9. On the bearish side, if I were to be, I'd say that this stock has a floor at $311. That is 15.58 of '08 earnings with a 20 forward PE. Thats worst case (goog hits the wall). But that'll take one more bad earnings to get there from here, unless this is a nasty wipeout.

#59     Jan 31, 2008
  10. From a fundamental standpoint, google has stalled. They were priced-to-perfection and over the last quarter managers have begun to realize that they have too many beta products with nothing of substance besides ad revenue. That coupled with all the money made on the way up with this Issue and credit issues elsewhere, the managers are cashing in their chips and looking for the next "big thing".

Goog could blow out numbers today(which they won't) and still get punished. There is nothing left for them to give. They write "software" with javascript? Come on......

Regards,

#60     Jan 31, 2008