I'm shorting GOOG around 650

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by cszulc, Oct 10, 2007.

1. lol... yes, I have to agree with this sentiment. The question is, why? Why short it when it is showing extreme strength? You can make good money shorting it when it's not showing extreme strength.

Applaud you for having strong convictions and being willing to act on them but this just seems to be a little premature. If you have a strategy that involves continuing to short it all the way up, that's fine, but... I'm sure you know the potential problems with that. If you don't have such a strategy, then you're picking the top.

I made a little money long RIMM today. Didn't even think of shorting it. Check the chart on that one.

#11     Oct 10, 2007
  2. It's broken out. Shorting a breakout like this is just crazy.
    Earnings do come in around options expiration day for everything though. It might be worth buying a put or two the day before just on spec, as long as you realize it's a lottery ticket.
    But actually shorting? Remember, your potential loss on a short is infinite, your gain is defined.
    It's almost the opposite, though, if you buy a put.

#12     Oct 10, 2007
  3. Bowgett

Bowgett

#13     Oct 10, 2007
  4. Bowgett

Bowgett

Now compare your GOOG short to ABK:

GOOG went nowere
    ABK went from $70 to $57 -> 18% gain on my short :)

#14     Oct 19, 2007
  5. lol goog going to 700

#15     Oct 19, 2007
  6. I hope you have two bowls of lucky charms cereal before the market opens on monday.

#16     Oct 19, 2007
  7. FCCT

FCCT

Absolutely right.

It doesnt matter what the fundamentals do. So many better risk/reward plays out there then holding short a GOOG, RIMM, AAPL etc. You can only scalp shorts on these.

Its hard to justify shorting a stock breaking new all time highs every week. Poor risk mgnt if you average in short.

Even if you short at 650, it shoots to 700, then back to 650 you continue to hold?? Very tough.

#17     Oct 19, 2007
  8. Source :

http://paul.kedrosky.com/archives/2007/10/19/google_price_ta_1.html

Google price targets continue to be ratcheted up after last night's beat and raise financial results. Among others, I see this morning that RBC's Jordan Rohan has raised his GOOG target to $725, and he rightly points out that the stock, even after its current run, trades at 24x 2009 EPS, a discount to the company's growth rate (which GOOG bears won't care about, because they don't buy the 2009 EPS figures, of course).

Mark Mahaney at Citi has a note out upping the Google price target ante. He calls the company's continuing high growth rate "extremely impressive", and ups his target to $775 (!) based on rolling forward to 2009 EPS multiples.

Speaking of GOOG bears, it's fun to read Jeff Matthews' missive on how Barron's (a representative media Google bear http://jeffmatthewsisnotmakingthisup.blogspot.com/2007/10/price-of-insanity-doubles-barrons-vs.html) has consistently missed the boat.

#18     Oct 20, 2007
  9. zdreg

zdreg

#19     Oct 20, 2007
  10. loza

loza Guest

Good, luck why don't you send me some of your abundant cash?
    Obviously you have money to burn......

#20     Oct 20, 2007