I'm shorting AAPL and GOOG

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by retaildaytrader, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Very likely, good point.

#41     Dec 26, 2009
  2. vikasd

vikasd

The focus of mobile internet is shifting from devices to infrastructure. The next 5% rise in Apple is not worth the risk to the downside. Just to maintain growth apple has to refresh iPhone with 4G LTE technology, LTE enabled tablet and secure verizon as a carrier.

It is not about how many applications iphone can run, but about how many different networks iphone supports. There is LTE, WiMax, CDMA.

I would buy CSCO, QCOM, JNPR, MOT, VZ, sprint and out of apple for 2010.

#42     Dec 26, 2009
  3. I am going to end this debate right now. If you think AAPL and GOOG are going up from here, then you are basically agreeing with Jim Cramer.

First, lets roll the videotape. On a sidenote, I would like to thank the creators of YouTube. A tool which seems to keep us all honest and that memorializes such things as what I am about to show:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_nkZ3eHeXlc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_nkZ3eHeXlc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

If you did not click on and watch the video, then I suggest you click on it a few more times. This was not the first time that Cramer has been so wrong. It basically started many years ago with his post on thestreet.com about the leaders of the new world order. One memorable one was DKS back in 2004 where he upgraded the stock on his show telling everyone to get in on the stock before the call and then it was cut in half in the weeks to come. I guess I could go on and write an essay about the guy, but I think you have the point.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I fully expect in the next few weeks for Cramer to come out with an apology episode on his show telling us how wrong he was for telling us to buy into Apple and Google. Jim Cramer, however, is not the reasoning as to why I am shorting the stocks.

If my stops get hit, then I will patiently wait for another entry point which will come in mid-January or early February. Its that simple. However, I believe the time to be short these stocks is probably now.

#43     Dec 26, 2009
  4. ammo

ammo

there is one more resistance at 622, not annotated on the chart

#44     Dec 26, 2009
  5. VIX headed up and IWM in the red. I could not help myself. I reshorted.

#45     Dec 28, 2009
  6. muller

muller

I understand that most people who've commented on your shorting-idea are technical traders... "watching charts..."
    So why the hell should any of us watch fucking Kudlow or Cramer except for fun?!

So said your stop for AAPL was at 210.
    And now you are shorting even more.

Wow - man - FUCK - that's the ever greatest strategy I've ever heard of!!!

#46     Dec 28, 2009

7. The trend is your friend until it bends. Good post.

#47     Dec 28, 2009
  8. lindq

lindq

Congratulations. You've managed to break not just one, but four rules at once for successfully trading shorts.

1. NEVER SHORT A DULL MARKET. This old adage holds a lot of truth. And there is seldom a duller market than during the holidays.

2. NEVER DOUBLE DOWN. Unless you have a proven system that specifically calls for it. But you don't.

3. NEVER SHORT JUST BECAUSE YOU THINK SOMETHING IS HIGH. That alone is a sure route to disaster. In the specific case of GOOG and AAPL, you are fighting some solid fundamental reasons to be buying them, which is supported by huge institutional money positioning for the new year.

4. KNOW WHEN TO ADMIT YOU ARE WRONG AND CUT YOUR LOSSES. If you can't, you will NEVER last in the trading business.

You might want to try actually trading for a few years before jumping into a chat room and embarrassing yourself with such lame predictions.

#48     Dec 28, 2009
  9. Div_Arb

Div_Arb

Pathetic trades to say the least. Next time, just give your money to charity.

As the previous poster pointed out, never NEVER short something because "it has been going higher". As a result of your naive analysis, you have managed to be short the two strongest stocks on the strongest index in the US. Fundamentals, technicals, price action - there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for you to be short these two stocks.

Be a man and take your losses and learn from your mistakes. Trust me, you'll be glad you did. For the future, never short a strong stock in a strong sector. You need to be shorting weak stocks in weak sectors. How much did this lesson cost you, BTW??

#49     Dec 28, 2009
  10. I can just see next week when the big boys get back from their private islands: "Ok, babies, where's AAPL at? Ho, Ho, Ho, look at that recent short interest! Looks like Santa left me a gift behind the couch. Trading desk, buy 10,000 share blocks until I get back from my morning constitutional. Who wants to play short chicken, babies!"

If we had this current formation during a normal week, I'd say a quick smash and grab might be riskable, but not during this holiday week.

My $0.02.

#50     Dec 28, 2009