I'm shorting AAPL and GOOG

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by retaildaytrader, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Mvic

Mvic

If you pay attention to news flow you would see that the IBs are gearing up to do a huge mobile tech pump kicked off by Morgan Stanley's report which posits that mobile + internet is going to be bigger than the dot com ramp. I wouldn't be shorting apple ahead of their big mystery presentation on Jan 26th (in today's FT they are saying it is to do with the tablet).

#11     Dec 24, 2009
  2. muller

muller

I am not short :)

#12     Dec 24, 2009
  3. AAPL has more cash than God, possibly the strongest balance sheet on the planet, and is trading at a forward PE in the teens.

Not sure you could have picked a less likely target...

#13     Dec 24, 2009
  4. We'll just throw you on the rubbish heap of noobs who short AAPL. Do a search here.

Amazing how these guys don't seem to have even a basic understanding of how to trade. Makes me regret that I didn't do an MBA and open a brokerage. Like free money.

If pros had to pick one tech stock that they would least like to be short of, it would probably be AAPL.

#14     Dec 24, 2009
  5. the OP might be able to pull off some intraday shorts but playing a swing or long-term short against aapl would be suicide imho.

so uh... good luck with that :D

#15     Dec 25, 2009
  6. If my stops go out, then I will just wait a bit and then find a higher point to short it. Traders know that each year technology becomes a sell right after Christmas. It could be next week or even a few weeks from now. Look at the last 10 years and you can see what has happened to technology right around this time.

Google and Apple have always had more cash then god but that has not prevented huge selloffs right after good run ups.

I figure a pullback will come right after Christmas or right after the New Year. This will be the first point where I will try shorting with the second point probably coming several days into the New Year when I get that feeling.

I dont use charts and fundamentals like you traders who lose day in and day out. I just look at what happened last year and play it by feel. Every year without fail Goog and Apple start tumbling down for some reason. This year is no different.

#16     Dec 25, 2009

7. Why bother with them?

#17     Dec 25, 2009
  8. Tough to try and take the strongest of the herd for your shorts? If the market pulls back, both GOOG and AAPL will get dinged, but for my money, I'm still buying on pullbacks intraday until they show me some stronger signs of weakness.

For tech shorts, I'm looking at weaker fellas that ran up...like RIMM.

Somebody always has to sell the very top, but I've never been able to do it once, let alone consistently.

#18     Dec 25, 2009
  9. That's exactly the point. These kids pick the absolute strongest stocks to short when the could find much weaker prey by looking for 5 minutes. They 'go by their gut', don't you know. They make a virtue of breaking the most fundamental trading rules.

The hilarious part will be if the market happens to go down and AAPL happens to go down with it. The OP will say 'See, I told you so', never understanding that he was 'right' by coincidence.

If you ask the OP 'Do you think AAPL may go down if the markets continue up?' he will say 'Of course!!'. That's the stupidity of this short right there.

#19     Dec 25, 2009
  10. The only thing is that I am not the kid here. I am a real trader. I began trading full time this year, but I have been in and out of the market since the early 80s.

Since 2001, what year was not a good time to short technology in late December and January? Why is this time different? I have been following Apple since it first publicly traded. It would have these amazing surges then followed by an unexpected powerdive.

So if it doesnt work right now then I will sit back and wait because it will work soon.

#20     Dec 25, 2009