I'm not cool

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by chuck.ells, Feb 21, 2008.

1. So I was out running some errands today. I stopped to get gas at a station, and as I went in to pay, I noticed an old Asian guy talking to a white guy at the pump island, but I didn't think anything about it at the time.
    After I paid for my gas and came back out to my car, the Asian guy approached me and in very broken english and a series of hand signs, I realized he was asking for a jump. This guy, Koren?,Chinese? Cambodia? Who the hell knows, except that he was some sort of Asian, was maybe around 65 years old. At least if he was a white guy, that would be my estimate, but with those little Asian guys, who the hell knows?

So I said sure. I swung my car around to give the guy a jump. When I did, I noticed the person the asian guy was talking to when I first pulled in, was one of the pump jockeys. This cat was giving me a hellish stare down as I popped the hood of my car, and helped the old guy hook up the cables. The old guys car started, and he went into this bowing and thankyou routine. So I said you're welcome and have a nice day.

The pump jockey comes up to me and seys “Dude, you better collect $65.00 for that”. What? I said. He went on to tell me that I was the fifth person the old guy had ask for a jump. Two wanted a $100 bill to “help out”, the pump jockey wanted $65.00 to help the guy out, and the other two wouldn't help him for any price. I told him fuck man, I was just helping the guy out, and I got into my car.

Just before I drove away, the pump jockey told me that they had already called a tow truck because the old guy wouldn't cough up the extortion money.

What the hell is this country coming to? How could we let kindness become so socially unacceptable?

Anyway, I don't know if this issue is “politics?”, “religion?”, or unimportant chit-chat.

2. Maybe you should move. Never been turned down for a jump and never denied another person a jump or filling a flat in my life.

Where are you from?

3. We are always helping each other free of charge where I live. We are just a bunch of backward country and small town people that have a few values left. The big city mentality is creeping in like a disease though.

People expect the government to help someone in need instead of an individual helping another person. People just aren't in the habit of helping someone.

4. I lived most of my life in the country, and when I wasn't traveling, only went to the city for work. I got sick of the long drive and moved into the city about 8 years ago.

Portland Oregon

5. chuck.ells

You're a nice guy. Personally, I wouldn't waste another thought on the others who would not help, they made you look good.

6. neophyte321

neophyte321 Guest

yeah, you are definitely on the wrong side of the tracks ...

Most of the people I know would jump at the opportunity to help a stranded driver....

It's nice to go home knowing you helped out ... It sounds like you're surrounded by Meth addicts.