I'm new to the site. Who are the "real deal" handles here?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Deep Pockets, May 1, 2021.

1. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

and a billion dollars.

#41     May 2, 2021
  2. Bad_Badness

Bad_Badness

Here is my filter:

Like ration over 50%, then

These post criterion:
    1. Does not talk about their profits.
    2. Does not talk about an "edge" and does not want people give to them an "edge".
    3. Does not post charts and says XYZ about them.
    4. Does not make "calls" (tops-bottoms, etc) about anything.
    5. Claims they are "right" or other are "wrong" without bothering to understand the details.
    6. Clearly has ego-emotional issues: Defensive, Aggressive, or has MAS (male answer syndrome).
    7. Understands the difference between a strategy and tactics and how to design them to work with each other.
    8. Understands the difference practice and theory and how to go from one to the other.
    9. Understands the difference between predicting and reacting and how to work between the two.
    10. Has at least 10 years experience.
    Hope that helps. I find the my ignore list much larger now than 15 years ago (I had a previous account, btw).

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    #42     May 2, 2021
    beginner66 likes this.
  3. BMK

BMK

For options trading, @destriero is the real deal.

Here's an interesting thread that has some recent activity:

https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/vol-trading-for-beginners.356063/

But as someone else mentioned, some of the most valuable and informative stuff in this forum can be found in older threads that do not have any recent comments.

BMK

#43     May 2, 2021
    ITM_Latino and yc47ib like this.
  4. vinc

vinc

subjective 'real deals' ? hmm..

we are all real deals here, especially in 'psychology' and 'politics' section!
    feel free to follow:)

#44     May 2, 2021
  5. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

this is the wrong site for a player like you.

#45     May 2, 2021
    johnnyrock likes this.
  6. Hello Deep Pockets,

Can you please explain this a bit for my understanding?

I was under the impression every trader goal is to beat the SP 500 index year to year, otherwise they can just part their start-up capital in a Vanguard SP500 index and save their time and energy.

Maybe I am wrong. Please explain

#46     May 2, 2021
    ffs1001 likes this.
  7. Good list. I think you filter a lot using these 10 rules for sure. Thanks for your thoughts!

#47     May 2, 2021
  8. Thank you, BMK. This guys knows what he's talking about in options. I have volatility arbitrage guys and US stocks are so picked over by the smartest robots in the world. I wish I could find someone like this who plays in a softer playing field like liquid but esoteric options like Cheddar Cheese or whatever. Maybe in Asia too there is more juice. It's hard to beat SIG and other players like that in US listed options but I'm going to read his threads fully. Thanks for the heads up on this guy

#48     May 2, 2021
  9. You're probably right, but, never know where you might find 1 undiscovered opportunity. The competition is getting so fierce that someone like me is certainly not going to find them at the Morgan Stanley Breakers conference with a zillion other allocators who are throwing money at anyone with half a resume. Today, have to find the people that either don't really want to be found, or, don't know how to be found. Generally, you're probably right but never hurts to throw the line in the water :)

#49     May 2, 2021
  10. If every investor's goal was to beat the S&P, why would there be money in bond funds and money market funds? My goal is the efficient frontier of the highest quality risk-adjusted returns. I'd take an 8% return of pure arbitrage versus a 15% volatile and uncertain return all day long. I can play with my leverage if i really believe the risks are so asymetric. The trick is that it's never black and white and that's where the skill lies. What is skill versus luck versus timing versus just being in the right environment. Many layers of this onion

#50     May 2, 2021
    SimpleMeLike likes this.