im new to ag futures..whats good?

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by cashmoney69, May 26, 2009.

1. :( (sigh) maybe ags futs are more complex than I realized.

#21     May 26, 2009
  2. nkhoi

nkhoi

I think you want this ;
    PowerShares DB Agriculture (NYSE: DBA) is intended to track the Deutsche Bank Liquid Commodity Index – Optimum Yield Agriculture Excess Return, which is composed of futures contracts on liquid and widely traded agricultural commodities such as corn, wheat, soy beans and sugar. At $26.85 today, its 52-week range is $21.52 – 42.65; average daily volume is million shares.

SPDR Gold Shares (NYSE: GLD) seeks to track the performance of the price of gold bullion, less the Trust expenses. The Trust holds gold, and is expected to issue baskets in exchange for deposits of gold, and to distribute gold in connection with redemption of baskets. As a general rule of thumb this trades at roughly 1% of the price of gold before fees and before trading volatility. At $92.04 today, its 52-week trading range is $66.00 to $98.99; average daily volume is roughly 17 million shares.

iShares Silver Trust (NYSE: SLV) seeks to track the price of silver owned by the trust, after expenses. The assets of the trust consist primarily of silver held by the custodian on behalf of the trust. At $14.05, its 52-week trading range is $8.45 to $19.17; average daily volume is about 10.2 million shares.

iPath DJ AIG Copper TR Sub-Index ETN (NYSE: JJC) is thinner volume than we normally like to see, but it is the “copper trade” for ETFs and ETNs. It seeks to reflect the returns available through an unleveraged investment in the futures contracts on physical commodities comprising the Index plus the rate of interest that could be earned on cash collateral invested in specified Treasury Bills. At $29.32, its 52-week trading range is $17.97 to $57.69.

The United States Oil (NYSE: USO) seeks to track the performance of the spot price of West Texas Intermediate light, sweet crude oil. The “USO” had had trouble tracking the benchmark because it invests in futures contracts for WTI light, sweet crude oil, other types of crude oil, heating oil, gasoline, natural gas and other petroleum based-fuels. At $33.77 today, its 52-week trading range is $22.74 to $119.17.

PowerShares DB Commodity Index Tracking (NYSE: DBC) seeks to track the performance of the Deutsche Bank Liquid Commodity index by investing in a portfolio of exchange-traded futures on the commodities comprising the index, or the index commodities. The index commodities are light, sweet crude oil, heating oil, aluminum, gold, corn and wheat. We find this one more difficult to track because of too many moving parts, but it is still somewhat actively traded. At $22.10, its 52-week trading range is $17.94 to $46.63; its average daily volume is about 1.8 million shares.

#22     May 26, 2009
  3. Actually I find ags to be MUCH simpler and by far easier to trade than the ym/es/*insert index future here*.

Why?? because ags, despite the fact that they do tend to make very big, sometimes very volatile moves, especially during the growing season...are VERY methodical. You don't see a lot of false "new" trends, or a lot of arb/bot trading that makes for extra noise, and if you have a good broker, you can get in touch with some of the guys down on the floor and REALLY kick your learning into high gear. (learning spread relationship affects on the contract month you trade, etc)

I both daytrade and swing trade ag futures. I actually prefer daytrading the grains, and swing trading the meats, but in general, I would recommend STARTING with daytrading them all...yes...call me dumb, crazy, whatever, but you MUST learn "how" these markets trade. Once you watch them trade INTRA-DAY for a few months (preferably a year) you will better understand how they also "move" on a swing basis...and you won't take near the risk in doing so. The ags aren't a get rich quick scheme, but in my opinion, they are a helluva lot easier to trade than anything else out there. You MUST dedicate the time to watching EVERYTHING about these mkts...but its well worth it. Maybe this is just me, but it took me twice as long to get some effective methods for trading the ES/EMD/old ER2 as it did to become an effective grain trader...which is where I started out...right there in the ol' corn pit back when it was one range bound mofo.....

#23     May 26, 2009
  4. Amangod

Amangod

You don't trade nkhoi

#24     May 29, 2009
  5. avoid trading the bean opening .... its like $50 poker table in vegas after having slept with the dealer ...

:p

#25     Jun 2, 2009
  6. lind-waldock called me again. They want me on their "Assisted trading account" where I have to call them every time i make a trade and they're going to charge me 50.00

is this a wise move, or will i be fine on my own?

#26     Jun 2, 2009
  7. Just do it on your own man, save the dough. Did you look anymore into spread trading? I would highly recomend it. July/Aug Beans has been trading in a beautiful range for a week now, margins are less and risk is hedged quite a bit more than outrights. I wish you the best.

#27     Jun 2, 2009
  8. nkhoi

nkhoi

if they eat your loss then go for it, 50 bucks is very cheap.

#28     Jun 2, 2009
  9. They will "assist" you by taking their hand...placing it on their mouse, and clicking "buy" or "sell" on your mkt of choice and price. You might get some "advice", but I'll save you the hassle...if the market has been going higher (based on net change, not intra-day action) they'll tell you to buy, and vice versa on the sell side. Oh...and make sure and add lots of moving averages...those "pro traders" that "assist" you love those too!

I'm with Rtrader...get into some spreads, better bang for your buck and less risk when starting out. Either that or start with intra-day trading...don't hold overnight while you are new unless you are in spreads.

#29     Jun 2, 2009

10. I can't imagine a brokerage firm eating a client's losses through a $50.00 advice fee. Nobody is that good at grain trading :)

#30     Jun 2, 2009