I'm Looking For A Certain Software.

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by bgp, Nov 17, 2009.

1. bgp

bgp

thanks,
    bp

#21     Nov 22, 2009
  2. Whimsy

Whimsy Guest

IntradayBill

I don't understand. You are saying if I input a pattern and buy every time it appears, it predicts correctly 65% of the time. I don't understand what the "is matched only to maybe 50%" means. Could you explain?

Peter

#22     Nov 22, 2009
  3. I assumed from your posts that you consider chart patterns, not indicators and things like that. In that case, just think about it: Let us say you see something like a bouble bottom on the chart that spans 20 bars. You mark that and you expect the software to find its matches. Do you think that it can find exact matches? What about if the low of the third bar is just a little lower than that of the pattern you marked? And/or the high of the fifth bar is just a little higher than the high? I hope you see the problem. Pattern recognition is really a statistical process.

Michael Harris has developed a theory for price pattern classification and recognition, I found very interesting, in his book Short-term Trading with Price Patterns. See if you can find a scanned copy around. Also, his program APS Automatic Pattern Search is quite interesting and does what you described automatically, i.e., it will find for you which patetrns to mark and then search for matches that satisfy user-defined performance criteria.

#23     Nov 23, 2009
  4. Omnitrader with the chart pattern plug in does EXACTLY what you described. No programming knowledge required.

#24     Nov 23, 2009
  5. bgp

bgp

i'll check omni out.
    thanks,
    bp

#25     Nov 24, 2009
  6. I have major major doubts. Trying to find an exact pattern when there is infinite possibilities

I have a feeling, BGP, that you are going to discover that this is going to get you nowhere. People have tried things like this before, and it is an exceptionally difficult task. Neural nets, etc.

Don't burn all your energy on this

#26     Nov 24, 2009
  7. bgp

bgp

i wont.
    thanks,
    bp

#27     Nov 24, 2009
  8. #28     Nov 25, 2009