I'm going long here

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Cutten, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Now why would this be "the" bottom anymore than last week?

There is still not enough fear... just a lot of TALK about it.

#11     Oct 6, 2008
  2. I wouldn't base my investment decisions or analysis of market direction on what cramer or the pope have to say or not say.

Earnings the next several qtrs will be going down.
    Recessionary problems are just beginning.
    Foreclosures have yet to peak.
    More bankruptcies from the financial crisis to come.
    We haven't had market capitulation,
    markets so far have been selling off in orderly fashion.
    Oct is just getting started.

Good Luck going against the trend and trying to pick the bottom.
    Which will be a while from now.
    Cash is king. No need to rush in and load the boat long.
    I'll wait and buy on the way up after the dust has settled. :D

#12     Oct 6, 2008
  3. Responding to an earlier post stating "cash is king..."

Cash WAS king a year ago. Now, companies that have cash are kings. If you can buy a company that consistently makes a profit for just a slight premium over the cash value of its shares, you know there's a long term buying opportunity there.

#13     Oct 6, 2008
  4. Let the record show Cutten going 75% in at:

1050.00 on the ES

(I say he gets at least 50 pts out of this ... it's a gutsy trade, but the best ones ususally are)

#14     Oct 6, 2008
  5. put a graph of the sp500 as someone else did in another thread UPSIDE DOWN and we have a parabolic move up, similar to the parabolic move up in oil and oil came crashing down, either way whatever rally comes out of these oversold conditions it will be a hard rally up and then we can decide if we go higher or back down, the bottom in 2002-2003 was a series of lows (i believe it was 3 lows?? too lazy to check) so you had plenty of time to go long.

#15     Oct 6, 2008

6. 1050 is not the bottom! IMHO it may test 1000 minimum this week.

Why not stay with the trend on any bounce?

#16     Oct 6, 2008
  7. If you flip the chart it looks parabolic. Good strategy.

#17     Oct 6, 2008
  8. courtesy of brett arends at wsj

Share prices world-wide now trade for an average of about 1.5 times book or net asset value, the lowest level since 1985. They're less than 0.8 times annual sales, their lowest levels since 1992. The dividend yield -- if you trust it, of course -- is nearly at a quarter-century high. According to FactSet, a market data monitor, share prices world-wide average less than 10 times forward earnings, also the lowest levels since the bargain-basement era of the early 1980s.

#18     Oct 6, 2008
  9. Cutten

Cutten

Very interesting. Check out Brazil and Russia if you want to see true value. Or Japanese financials & real-estate. I dipped my toe into the latter a couple of months ago, was early, but doubling up now in the Asia session.

Would you be interested in starting a value-investing thread? Would be nice to get a list of a couple of dozen stocks at reasonable PEs, with sound balance sheets, nice yields and/or good long-term growth prospects, low price to sales or other value measures.

#19     Oct 6, 2008
  10. LO-Freakn-L

#20     Oct 6, 2008