I'm getting better

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by HomeGrown, May 2, 2003.

1. I started trading a year ago and thanks to some of the advice here on ET I tried trading the ETFs. WOW these are so much more smooth to trade.

I hold positions overnight, but I still scalp a little if I get the windfall profit.

Another thing I noticed is since they dont really rip around I can use nearly any execution platform around! Even my ameritrade account!

I did notice the spreads seem a little wide at times, but when I stand my ground with bids and offers i generally get filled.

I just wanted to share, I was about to give up trading and become a 9 to 5 man again, but I think I have been set on the right course now.

2. Glad to hear about your success:)

Which ETF's do you primarily trade? Can you share your successfull strategies?

--MIKE

3. JT47319

JT47319

If you like ETFs, try the e-minis then. They track the same set of indices (SP500, Dow, Nas) and have, in my opinion, more advantages than equities.

4. I like trading SMH :cool:

5. This is what I tell people when they say that Single Stock Futures would be nearly ideal except for the 8¢ average spreads. Place your order 2¢ or 3¢ better than the bid/ask, you will usually get filled at your price.

A few ETFs do trade in Single Stock Future form too.

QQQ, DIA, and 7 Russell Indexes

6. This is what I tell people when they say that Single Stock Futures would be nearly ideal except for the 8¢ average spreads. Place your order 2¢ or 3¢ better than the bid/ask, you will usually get filled at your price.

7. About 100 stocks now. They add a new one now and then. Spreads are average 8¢, some stocks are typically 5 or 6 cents, some are 9 or 10, but 8¢ is general average.

When market rips an 8¢ spread SSF may go to 10-12 cents for a few seconds or so.

8. Do you relize this is a huge opportunity like in the late 90s to bag the spread scalping.

9. I don't know. I do think it's a good opportunity to be in on the beginning of something that's likely to increase in volume and popularity in the coming years. Just as I think the BOX exchange, when it finally gets off the ground, will be an opportunity to be involved in from the beginning.

Like the E-minis, or Weather Futures.