I'm basic and have a question about CL

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by Nostradamus357, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Would someone answer my question above please? Many Thanks.

#31     Nov 10, 2010
  2. Picaso

Picaso

You don't understand how margin works in futures, which is basic, and yet you want to be trading with 18 cars, on a $25,000 account.

You're not accounting for commissions or slippage, but you want to be scalping for 2 cents?

Going out on a limb and assuming (sigh) that you're not a troll, you need to do some basic reading, either buy a book or go to the web pages of the exchanges - or both. Then trade 1 car in a simulator. Repeat as necessary. <i>Then</i> ask questions.

Good trading to you.

#32     Nov 11, 2010
  3. I have read quite a few books and online entries on Futures Trading but cannot for the life of me still understand FUTURES INTRADAY MARGINS.

Picaso, please, in simple english:

What is the gravest danger of trading 18 cars on a 25K account? If I lose 0.01 on 1 trade then I'm down $180 right. But if I profit 0.01 then I'm up $180? Is it that black and white or are there other losses I can incur using margin but I'm not talking about slippage or my trail stops not being executed and losing 35 cents on a trade.

Thank you buddy!

Please help a newbie to make the market more liquid.

#33     Nov 11, 2010
  4. Picaso

Picaso

drm7 has answered your question in your other thread.

Margin in equities = loan.

Margin in futures = deposit.

#34     Nov 11, 2010
  5. spd

spd

What are you talking about? That doesnt make any sense. And I dont trade inventory numbers because I am not a degenerate gambler.

#35     Nov 11, 2010
  6. spd

spd

The gravest danger is getting stopped out a million times a day trying to scalp 18 cars for a few pennies. Stop it.

#36     Nov 11, 2010
  7. wish et had a thank you button here

#37     Nov 11, 2010
  8. bone

bone

"The gravest danger is getting stopped out a million times a day trying to scalp 18 cars for a few pennies. Stop it."

Amen, brother.

You can't scalp a market with 30% volatility with narrow stops. If 30-year Bonds have a volatility of 11%, and the old floor trader stop rule was three tics there in that market, then it stands to reason that CL would require a ten tic stop-loss level for scalping.

#38     Nov 11, 2010
  9. spd

spd

Scalping CL just seems stupid to me. Several times a day it'll give you a 20cent+ move you can ride. Those moves dont just come out of nowhere. If you think they do come out of nowhere you arent ready to trade CL with real money yet. Nothing wrong with that, just keep practicing.

#39     Nov 11, 2010
  10. Now this is turning into a thread!

Thank you bone!

Thank you spd!

Wish there was a way I could add reputation to both of you.

#40     Nov 11, 2010