I'm at step 0 regarding systems.

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by rainmonkey, May 29, 2011.

1. I am sorry if it came across that way to you. I promise, I will never sell you anything and that was not my intention.

Before I sell or lease anything, I will teach no less than 10 people how to use the platform, put up my own money as risk capital (so long as it is legal), and make certain that they all become profitable, before I offer it to anyone for sale, lease, or any exchange of money.

#51     Jun 8, 2011
  2. tim888

tim888

All of the above are easily done in Tradestation, Metatrader and NinjaTrader amongst many platforms out there. I bet you can do them in Multicharts and TradersStudio as well.

As far as data mining there are many solutions around, some are expensive, some are limited and some are worthless. Several create codes for Tradestation and Ninja, like Trading System Lab and Price Action Lab.

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=220286

I think you have greatly underestimated the issues involved in creating a commercial platform but hey good luck to you.

#52     Jun 8, 2011
  3. You don't have a clue what they are...or how they work, how do you know they are available? Most of them are integrated with the database and make calculations for trading using the database.

This is not designed for the general public. It is designed to trade specific price-action based methods and calculations come from the integrated database. I have no desire to work with the general public.

I have stated many, many features that are not available in any of the platforms. The main reason it was built was so that I could trade a specific method, which 3 years ago wasn't available in TradeStation. I also wanted to trade via a direct-access api.

I added most of the features after seeing that they were much more beneficial. 8 years of integrated data for back-testing where you can back-test multiple symbols at a time, batch back-test using different symbols - dates - algorithms, as well as mine the results using a web-based screener to find higher-probability trades.

Not to mention, we don't have all the flashing lights and things the general public wants and thinks will help them.

#53     Jun 8, 2011
  4. It would be fair to say, that TradeStation is very different product today than it was three years ago in summer of 2008.

You must have spent > 70k in developing your platform. In the process of developing the platform, It sounds like you have learned a lot about trading system development and price action. good insights. good for you. good luck.

#54     Jun 9, 2011
  5. Could you give an example of what can be done today with TS that couldn't be done 3 years ago?

#55     Jun 9, 2011
  6. Excellent point. I must say that I use zero technical analysis in what I am doing and this is part of the reason. I also do not 'think' that the technical indicators from yesterday have anything at all to do with today's price action. If you are trading a chart, which most people are, let's say 5 minutes and you are using a moving average of 10 periods, it will take 50 minutes before the data is relative only to today's price action. Make the time periods longer and this becomes much greater. My opinion, but I have never seen it used effectively.

I will also say that my platform does everything differently. When it comes to back-testing, we download each day individually. While I have complained that TS takes so long to back-test, running the first set on my platform takes a bit of time to download the data. However, after you have the data, it takes much less time and the batch-version is much faster as it prints nothing to the screen.

Each day is stored in a file on the server and the database knows the location and the days that we have. This takes much more time and another program was written to get the data files into this format. I don't know if you are aware of the differences in data, but it's amazing.

We developed another program that goes through the data and extracts the open / high / low / close for everyday, this way I know that at the very least is directly from my data. This is stored in another database, as it is referenced in calculations made in some of the trading strategies. If you have any idea about system development, you know that this program alone could be very useful as it goes through 8 years of data minute by minute.

#57     Jun 9, 2011
  7. I am not certain that it can be done in TS, as I mentioned I don't use the platform and I gave up on it. I won't give an example, but I will say that it is a stop-loss / profit-target method that I wanted to use.

I will also say that my original idea was to trade off of patterns that were present on the daily chart. TS did NOT recognize a few in back-testing and I don't have a clue as to why. It often times would recognize a certain pattern, but then other times it wouldn't. I went through the back-test results diligently and found the mistakes.

I can honestly say that if you are going to back-test multiple time-frames do your HOMEWORK! Don't just take the back-tests as the final word.

#58     Jun 9, 2011
  8. genetic optimization and walk forward testing.

for a 'free' platform it is not bad.

the icons, graphics and 'colors' are greatly enhanced. MACD looks really good !!

#59     Jun 9, 2011
  9. Why do you think someone coudl not write a program to do that in TS before?

Other than the ability to curve fit (genetic optimization) and the ability to introduce selection bias (walk forward testing) I don't see anything new, especially for color blind people.

Try again.

#60     Jun 9, 2011