I'm a rookie

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Sarasota, Nov 30, 2001.

1. How do I find the stocks with the largest daily ranges on average? Thanks in advance for answering this remedial question!

2. Magna

Magna Administrator

I'm not familiar with the above link, but if you want to do it yourself it's fairly simple if you have an end-of-day charting program like TC2000 or QuotesPlus. Then it's a matter of a formula like the following (this would work in TC2000): AVGH20 - AVGL20. That would give you the 20-day average range, so you would instantaneously see the range of all stocks which you could then sort, add additional criteria (i.e., volume, minimum price, etc.) Or if you knew that you were only interested in stocks who's average daily range was higher than 2.00, then you'd setup the formula as "AVGH20 - AVGL20 > 2".

3. Turok

Turok

I believe www.bigeasyinvestor.com (an excellent site recently bought by Ameritrade) would do the trick for you.

JB

4. .

5. Rigel

Rigel

Go to Stockcharts.com. Do a customized scan.
    Example, find all stocks with atr(10)>2 and price <20. All the returned symbols will have a daily range of at least 10%.

6. thomas

thomas

TC2000 seems to be free. What's the catch?

7. PitBull

PitBull

The software for TC2000 is free but the data is not!

8. Magna

Magna Administrator

TC2000 comes with historical data current only up to approximately the point of when your CD was cut. But to get more recent data, and to download current data, you must subscribe. It's about 29.95 per month, with discounts for longer subscription periods. I've been using it for a number of years and consider it well worth it, as I like to review end-of-day data each evening in preparation for the next day.