I'm 30-years-old with no dependents and no debts. I want to dedicate my spare time to

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dailygrind, Sep 8, 2010.

1. getting rich.

I have programming (python) and graphic design skills, and have a good grasp of statistics and probability. I was thinking of pursuing one of two things:

1) Quantitative Trading (swing)
    2) Build a website that offers goods or services with an angle based on statistics, with an eye towards getting bought out.

I have 20k saved up. Which path do you think is more realistic? I've never built a commercial website, and my trading experience is limited to an TDAmeritrade account where I dabbled in subdollar stocks.

I really have nothing else to do after work and my social life is non-existant. I'm willing to put four-five hours in every night.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Piffle

Piffle

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but my advice is to use your spare time to develop your social life. Getting rich pales in comparison to having people to share your life with. Take community college classes, join the chess club, do SOMETHING to develop relationships with other people.

Trading is a labor of love. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they enjoyed the process itself instead of just wanting the money it may bring. The process is all most people ever get out of it, as very few people end up with worthwhile financial rewards from trading. I enjoy the process, so that's why I'm still doing it. There are easier ways to make a buck.

I don't know anything about commercial websites, so I'll let someone else take that one.

3. I would enjoy any process that involves statistics, probability, and research. I just want to try pursuing something major while I still have the time.