I'm 18, where should I start

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by joe426, May 30, 2008.

1. Congratulations Joe!!

You have accomplished 2 things that the typical 18 year old has not.

1. You know the value of work.
    2. You know how to save.

Many of your peers will be knee deep in debt with a house full of children before they figure that out.

Now it is time to learn how to use money to make money so that you never have to work for anyone the rest of your life.

I would suggest 3 things.

1. Read investment books voraciously. You can start with One up on Wall Street.
    2. Jump in! There are hundreds of GREAT Stocks out there. Start with one. and don't be afraid to make mistakes.
    3. ALWAYS do a post mortem after each trade. What did you do right, what did you do wrong... How can you improve.

Good Luck Joe. Remember you can accomplish ANYTHING you set your mind to. It just takes a little patience!! :)

#21     Jun 7, 2008
  2. asap

asap

"I'm 18, have worked a lot, saved money, and want to invest it. Put yourself in my shoes, what should I do first?"

<b>quit elitetrader asap.</b>
    :D

#22     Jun 7, 2008
  3. READ HOW TO MAKE MONEY IN STOCKS

#23     Jun 7, 2008
  4. How about trying out backtesting, where you test ideas and not risk money until you are confident? Please have a look at these threads, they might help you:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104393

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=108534

#24     Jun 15, 2008
  5. You might consider your need to know what other people think you should do.

#25     Jun 15, 2008
  6. Dude - You're 18 - you got a long time to hit home runs, make mistakes, etc.

Forget well known stocks like GE, what are you going to get like 2-3 points?- at 18 - you should be hyper agressive trading upside and downside momo - If you blow up - shrug it off - you're only 18.

Look for stocks with a reason and a catalyst to move. RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH If you miss the leader look for strong competitors that will be dragged up by the leader.

Look for the hottest stocks in the hottest sectors, the weakest stocks in the weakest sectors, and jump in. Just don't be the last to leave the party. Learn to read charts and look for breakouts / breakdowns. Trade with the trend and look for dips to buy / spikes to sell.

Trade options.

Forget day trading until you have mad cash. Stay at your job until you are up like 1000%.

Just freakin go for it.

#26     Jun 15, 2008
  7. Avoid everything that stock_trad3r posts or says. Seriously

#27     Jun 15, 2008
  8. NEVER do anything like what this person is saying!!! Don't let others have or trade your money

#28     Jun 15, 2008
  9. wickcity

wickcity

Set up a roth IRA.

#29     Jun 15, 2008
  10. You need to start fucking as many hot young babes as possible. Don't spend a cent on them unless you meet one on which you can see loving for a very long time, and even then in moderation. You need to spend half your money on having memorable times. Then invest the last half in a vanguard foreign or energy-focused mutural fund. Goto college, major in Finance, go work for an IB, get two years experience, go get an MBA in High Finance, go work for Goldman and then you are all set for life.

#30     Jun 15, 2008