Illinois set to pass Forced Confiscation of All Semiautos

Discussion in 'Politics' started by achilles28, Jan 3, 2013.

1. No, I don't buy that. Speed limits don't keep going down and other laws reach reasonable levels that balance freedom with public safety. The idea that guns would be different is just more irrational gun-nut hysteria.

#31     Jan 3, 2013
  2. Look around the world...especially europe. It was all gradual there...years and sometimes decades...piece by piece they removed guns from civilian hands. Some of the countries force gunowners to keep the firearms on the premises of gun clubs. Even here in the US, cities such as Chicago and Morton Grove Illinois and DC had a total civilian ban on handguns. These municiplaities all argued that the 2nd amendment was regarding the Nation Guard and that total bans on handguns was ok.

Its not about believing anything...its about observing what is happening all around you.

#32     Jan 4, 2013
  3. wjk

wjk

The mastery of compartmentalization allows people to be oblivious to the truths of the present and history.

I have only one question for folks like AK47: Will you register your AK47, if you indeed have one, knowing that your prez will appoint another anti-gun zealot to the Supreme Court if he gets the opportunity? If you think the 2nd won't be back in front of a progressive supreme court at the first opportunity, than you are in denial. Think how sweet it will be for the gun grabbers when that happens, knowing everyone went down and registered their rifles and pistols under the promise that they were being grandfathered.

I'm curious, how will they know who has the weapons they determine need to be registered given that some guns were likely bought and sold privately. Will they need to do searches to see who is compliant, or will they trust the good citizens to do their duty? I expect most law abiding citizens will. None of the bad guys will.

You left wing gun owners better think long and hard before you jump on this bandwagon. This one will bite you right on the ass more than any other policy you've ever gone along with. It may not even be a Supreme Court issue in the future. What do you think will happen after a national registration has been completed and another mass shooting occurs?

On the other hand, you could just set the example. Go turn them in now.

#33     Jan 4, 2013
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

That's democraps for ya.

#34     Jan 4, 2013
  5. Lucrum

Lucrum

+ 2

#35     Jan 4, 2013
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

How about now?

#36     Jan 4, 2013
  7. ktm

ktm

I say nearly nothing happens.

The primary reason for most of the bills and threats and rhetoric is to generate money for politicians. Once the machine gets all wound up and the letters and phone calls start coming in, the NRA and other groups start writing checks to kill the bills. That's the way the machine works in this country.

#37     Jan 4, 2013
  8. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Precisely.

#38     Jan 4, 2013
  9. Look at the way smoking was outlawed in the interest of public safety. First, divide the restaurants in half, smoking and non smoking. Then public buildings but not bars. Then bars, then outside of bars (within 50 feet) now public parks, coming soon to a nyc condo's, no smoking indoors even if you own the place.

The same outline will be used for guns.

#39     Jan 4, 2013
  10. Bingo! I do believe you're right. Makes perfect sense.

#40     Jan 4, 2013