illegal Short Sellers may face RICO.......

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by flytiger, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Source?

#21     Jul 29, 2008
  2. sprstpd

sprstpd

You've been saying that for many years now. I'm not seeing it.

We all know the real reason the SEC is now trying to enforce the naked shorting rule for financials is because big whigs whose companies should be valued close to $0 are pressuring Cox to do so. How about enforce the naked shorting rule as long as financial companies have to mark-to-market their crap portfolios? Seems fair to me.

#22     Jul 29, 2008
  3. Chairman Cox recently reported to the Congress that the Commission will soon
    consider rulemaking to apply additional protections against abusive naked
    short selling to the broader market.

I think the above comment is noteworthy. This should create uncertainty and favor the long side.

Imo, if the SEC had their way they'd probably like to call a trading halt on affected stocks, give the market time to adjust and digest information but they can't do this long term so they did the next best thing, limit trading in an obtuse sort of way.

To create an unending uncertainity on the short side. Buy or go to cash.

There is no emergency, they needed to call it an "emergency" so SEC wouldn't be called to task or sued for failing in the enforcement dept prior to issuing this emergency.

Market psych ops. What role does psychology have in valuation?

#23     Jul 29, 2008
  4. I think they should have to mark to the market as well, and get it over with now so we deal with it and move on.

#24     Jul 29, 2008
  5. You don't get it. NOTHING is fair. NOTHING. The HedgeFunds created enormous wealth and were smart enough to spread it around. So everyone looked the other way. Notice all te "former SEC Enforcement Attny's on CNBC lately? All work for law firms and pull down high six figures. And they all are for the HedgeFunds. Duh. I've said for years it's NYC vs. the rest of the country; Schumer and Clinton let everything go so NY would have tax revenues. See Paterson's latest pronouncement? What a surprise. 1975 all over again.

Now, it goes the other way twice as hard. Who said anything about 'fair'?

There are only two kinds of people who could support the present system. They are 'in on it', or , they 'wanna be in on it." The rest of you will find, with a level playing field, you have more talent than you think.

#25     Jul 30, 2008
  6. Notice all te "former SEC Enforcement Attny's on CNBC lately? All work for law firms and pull down high six figures. And they all are for the HedgeFunds.
    ==========

What about John Edwards and Al Gore? The righteous. Both were or still are affliated with hedge funds.

#26     Jul 30, 2008
  7. My point exactly. But when the information starts coming out about how the worst operate, people will backpedal from them like Michael Jackson circa 1986

#27     Jul 30, 2008
  8. newtoet

newtoet

Wahhhhhhhhhhhh.

Instead of crying like a bunch of pussies over people shorting, the Execs should focus their efforts on running their companies and not doing stupid, risky shit.

All of the SEC restrictions in the world are not going to fix the fundamentals of a poorly run company with incompetent - or worse yet crooked - Execs.

Talk about deflecting from the real issue...

#28     Jul 30, 2008
  9. What don't you understand about 'illegal'????? That's like being robbed everytime you go to the store, and calling the cops, who are supposed to protect you. And the cops say, 'stop crying. Get a gun. We've got donuts to eat'.

Don't they have logic courses in Universitys anymore? Ethics? Gym? Anything?

#29     Jul 30, 2008
  10. All of the SEC restrictions in the world are not going to fix the fundamentals of a poorly run company with incompetent - or worse yet crooked - Execs.

----------------------

Correctomundo, but we aren't talking about companies here we are talking about stocks. I vaguely remember reading some crapola about "stock" holders, and shares and part ownership based on certs. I never figured out how that worked.

#30     Jul 30, 2008