Illegal operation

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by viangi4_2001, Jun 23, 2001.

1. The past three trading sessions a small rectangular box appeared on one of my two screens with JAVA, an X that's circled,and a message telling of an illegal operation being performed,and the program will shut down. When I click to close the box the IB platform I have on one screen shuts down,but the other screen with my charts and L2 and other TA material remains. I've counted 8 times that happened and is a royal nusance to say the least. I have to shut down TA screen to get at my desktop version of IB and login again. I drag it over to the screen on the right,then I have to also login once more to get up my charts on the left screen. Only dry running these programs so far. I was planning the same procedure next week,with the first of the month as my baptism under fire. I haven't made the first trade yet. So, with all that I have rolling around in my head with daytrading I most certainly don't need to be wasting precious time logging in unnecessarily. Especially if I have to watch the ticks and make fast entries and exits.

I've been-and in this order-buying,cancelling, then selling on IB as a dry-run means of getting the mechanics down pat. Possibly IB doesn"t like their real platform to be used as a Demo,and they're letting me know in this manner. I have called and cannot get the time of day much less something technical explained to me. Would someone please come up with something I can do!

BTW,I have not depressed the T button. I'm strictly in a DEMO mode,not bothering anyone but maybe they see all. I could switch the screens,then have only one unnecessary login to do 4 or 5 times daily,but I still have an expensive situation staring me in the face. I do hope there's someone in here that can help me out of this.Thanks for whatever you can do.

While I'm at it there was an instance last week where I became engrossed in the charts as the market gyrated, and left IB untouched for quite awhile and it turned blue and lines raced across my watch lists and it disappeared;the whole page,platform, poof! Does IB time you out if you don't make trades often enough? I have read this has occurred frequently, just can't recall the circumstances. There's enough with the trading,Who needs all this extra baggage? Thanks again for any help.

2. kralcd

kralcd

Regarding your last paragraph "....it turned blue and lines raced across my watch lists and it disappeared;the whole page,platform, poof! Does IB time you out if you don't make trades often enough? ...." Having used the IB platform for over 1 year the "lines, etc" will appear if you have lost your internet connection to IB. IB does not disconnect due to lack of activity, in my experience. (I assume you are using TWS 4.)