If you're declaring taxes, how are you doing so?

Discussion in 'Crypto Assets' started by Cuddles, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Cuddles

Cuddles

Seems like there's conflicting government definitions. On one had, IRS says it's property, so capital gains are subject to either long (if held more than a year) or short = ordinary (if speculated on or exit via stop loss). Not to mention wash sale nightmares.

The CFTC ruled it a commodity, which means 60/40 tax rule and no wash sale bs.

so how're you doing it? I'm US based so it's increasingly difficult to obtain crypto w/o leaving bread crumbs for Uncle Sam.

2. I only trade futures, so it's just a single figure to report: total gain/loss. With stocks/etfs, it's a pain, because every sale has to be reported separately, and categorized as long/short term, wash sale, etc.

3. speedo

speedo

Futures trades can be filed at a favorable 60/40, stocks can be filed as M to M but the election has to be taken as such.

4. Cuddles

Cuddles

What if I'm not a 'trader' w/MTM benefits? Can I still elect just like in a forex spot trade?

5. speedo

speedo

I don't know anything about the spot currency market, best to check with a tax CPA or attorney.

6. Cuddles

Cuddles

Best site to trade crypto futures? Bimex?