If you're a guy woud you get married today?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jinxu, Oct 25, 2010.

I'm an older guy and my advice to young men about marriage is:

1. Yes, getting married is a good thing.

24 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. No, getting married is not worth it.

35 vote(s)
    59.3%
  1. Picaso

Picaso

Sure, just make sure you get a (fair for everybody) prenup so that both of you are on the same page.

Better a one-time unromantic talk early on that multiple horrible and mean fights later on.

#21     Oct 25, 2010
  2. Here is a poem that I wrote about picking the right girl.
    The harley post reminded me of it.

One Eyed One Legged Woman

I met her in a Cabaret, in a little old Texas town.
    The first thing I saw, was the stump of her leg, hanging 'neath her gown.
    But then I saw the cutest smile coming out of her good right eye,
    I felt so sorry for that gal that I thought that I would cry.

Well I walked over and sat down and much to my surprise,
    she told me how her old bird, could make those coveys rise.
    Then she told me 'bout her fishing boat tied up down by the dam.
    I thought she was a funnin' me and I thought she was a sham.

Well next morning we got up, long before the sun.
    She showed me how to call Tom Gobbler with the Kee Kee Run.
    Then she showed me her fishing boat tied up down by the damn.
    I thought she'd pass for Roland Martin if she was dress up like a man.

Well by and by, we got married and on our honeymoon,
    we kissed and fished, and kissed and fished.
    At night we hunted coon.

So listen to me all you prissy girls. Pay attention to my wife.
    Hunting and fishing has its place in your married life.
    So if you want to avoid divorce and hold on to your man.
    Go huntin' with him and fishin' with his him, every chance you can.

Now I'll probably never live this down. :D

#22     Oct 25, 2010
  3. For you, there is obviously no reason. For intelligent, mature guys who are not self-absorbed and want to form a lifetime bond with someone to share their life with, there are many reasons. :cool:

#23     Oct 25, 2010
  4. You do not have to marry to form a life time bond, nor to share your life. You can form bonds with a woman, a man a group of people, a child with no parents or a perfect stranger if you are open to it. According to you married guys are not self absorbed, and are more intelligent and mature.

Is your love more real because you signed a document / wear a ring ?

You talk about many good reason to marry, what are they ?

#24     Oct 25, 2010
  5. The only reason I can see why marriage is necessary is for religious folk. Other than that, I don't see a reason as to why two people can't share their lives together, have kids, etc. without getting married.

Let's face it guys - most of us get married because we know our significant others want to. Most women will eventually give the ultimatum - we get married or I move on to someone who will marry me. So we marry the woman we want to spend our lives with, for the simple reason that she'll leave if we don't.

#25     Oct 25, 2010
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

I've been married to my second wife for over 10 years now.
    We have a marriage that is probably what most think their marriage will be, but hardly ever is. Some of that is the benefit of experience from past marriages, some of it maturity.

For MOST young, average or better looking, financially self sufficient guys. I'd advise him to stay single at least through most of his 30's.

#26     Oct 25, 2010
  7. Larson

Larson Guest

The answer is generally no, as today either one or both parties come to the alter with little or no respect for the institution.

Trading and marriage do not mix. If you decide to do it, keep her out of your business completely, most women do not understand it and think it "gambling". Put her to work and tell her to stfu.

You will read of exceptions on this board, but I would suspect you have less than a 50/50 chance to go the distance and that sweet little honey turns serpent on you.

And please, cool it with the religious chicks. The real-mcoys are already happily married and you will probably get an angry, guilt -ridden crackpot that runs all her men off.

#27     Oct 25, 2010
  8. 22 years and 3 kids currently, and I wouldn't change it. There are ups and downs, tough times and great times, but that's no different than the rest of life. I'll be honest though, there are times I would love to sit around and not have to think of what has to get done next. I think of how I used to imagine I had no time to get anything done, and with a wife working and 3 kids playing sports I just laugh. Everyday I need a roadmap to figure where and when I need to be. I have no clue how people with more kids survive. Then again I used to have no clue how married people, people with 1 kid...etc, survived.

#28     Oct 25, 2010
  9. zdreg

zdreg

people raise children in tough situations and they grow up fine.
    Do the right actions and u won't be staying up at night

#29     Oct 25, 2010
  10. The saddest thing I see as I get older, are the friends that chose not to marry. They are getting older now, and the dating pool as you age is not what it once was; plenty of divorcee women with kids in tow.........someone elses kids, or scallywags that have been passed around till their like a baseball bat in a trash can.

You should know if the woman you're with is the right one or not, and none of them are perfect, just like none of us are.

#30     Oct 25, 2010