If you were hired at a hedge fund, would you entirely disclose your strategy?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by crgarcia, Dec 3, 2007.

1. They could dispose of you when they learn they no longer need you, just your winning stategy, that they already know?

2. depends what is your position within the hedge fund.

it would be counterproductive to dispose of the fund manager. who would run the fund instead?

if you were a regular trader, you basically don't have a "strategy". You just do what you're told.

3. johnston

johnston

i was thinking about creating some kind of legal agreement for some strategies that i have come up with before joining them, so i will continue to get paid as long as they use it. any ideas?

4. just give them paper results of all the results (backtests) and trades the system generates. It would be a pain in the ass to reverse engineer anything off paper.

5. If you ask them to sign a paper like that they will simply not hire you. Not worth the bother to have a lingering legal liability after you leave. They hire traders to trade their strategies or someone to manage a sub-amount of money perhaps and either case they do not need to sign any paper regarding your strategy.

6. In the real world...
    The hedge fund employee signs a 20 page Non-Disclosure Agreement...
    Which is highly enforceable in court.

If you do not wish to do so...
    Go and start your own hedge fund.

BOTTOM LINE IN BUSINESS WORLD

If you have no capital... you have no power...
    And must work for those who do.

7. In the real world...
    No one cares about your "back-testing".

Only independently Audited Financial Statements...
    Proving that you've made substantial profits over 3 to 5 years or so...
    And that luck had nothing to do with it...
    Would be of any interest to an adult.

8. 20 pages NDA ? Outsch ! Bureaucracy...

[​IMG]

9. Ask for ownership. Rennaisance gives ownership to all traders and employees including the janitors.

10. Agreed, just wondering why Dog doesnt work for Renaissance...

#10     Dec 3, 2007