If you were going to short Silver, would you do it now (if not already broke) ?

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by Algo_Design_Kid, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Wow $500 for a .10 cent move...wowsers

#21     Feb 10, 2011
  2. I think that is probably why they keep raising the minimum maintenance requirement. I am sure 5% of people were blowing up every 15 minutes.

#22     Feb 10, 2011
  3. ddlee

ddlee

SI (silver) .10 (ten cents) equals 500.00 usd

GC (gold) 5.00 (five dollars) equals 500.00 usd

CL (oil) .50 (fifty cents) equals 500.00

#23     Feb 11, 2011
  4. exactly and thanks...seems to me that SI is the most risky to daytrade as a .10 move in SI happens much quicker (and often) than a 5.00 move in GC or .50 move for the CL...agree?

#24     Feb 11, 2011
  5. bone

bone

I actually spread 2 Gold futures versus 1 Silver future on the Comex - lots of juice, a bit better behaved IMO than the flat price futures. Legging them is an adventure.

#25     Feb 11, 2011
  6. thanks Bone...you would agree with this then...correct?...

"seems to me that SI is the most risky to daytrade as a .10 move in SI happens much quicker (and often) than a 5.00 move in GC or .50 move for the CL...agree?"

#26     Feb 11, 2011
  7. bone

bone

Oh hell yes I would agree with that.

Copper is a really wild one as well. Seems like Gold is the gentle pussycat of the three.

I have clients spreading between all of the LME and Comex metals complex. Getting LME access can be a bitch, but the clients doing it are printing money. Lots of commercial order flow and not too many independents compared to other markets IMO.

Electronic market access to all of these different markets simultaneously just really takes spread trading to another level altogether. Things are just better than ever for us.

#27     Feb 11, 2011
  8. Shagi

Shagi

Thats why trading is difficult because its so so difficult to do the simple thing. Just like some masters of the universe who have been shorting stock indices because they think they are smarter.

#28     Feb 18, 2011
  9. sprstpd

sprstpd

10. Butterball

Butterball

I refrain from shorting things when they have been strong. Silver is no exception.

I'll happily play the short side once it sells off and makes new 10 or 20 week lows.

#30     Feb 18, 2011