If you were 22 years old and just graduated from college

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by sscheper, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sscheper

sscheper

If you were 22 years old and just graduated from college with a degree in finance, where would you look for an entry level position? What industry would you look in that promises the most money?

Would you seek out employment at a large firm (Merill Lynch, Goldman Sachs)? A hedge fund (through connections)? Or somewhere else?

Thanks!

2. mde2004

mde2004

Trade and make big money, live freely and independantly kiddo.

3. Go trade for Bright Trading and keep all of your profits. use their leverage. Trade pairs and opening orders. Shun the corporate lifestyle. Why give up your profits to the "man" anyways? :D

I am totally kidding by the way. go work for an established firm, get some real training under your belt if you do indeed want to trade. it will give you a sense of how wall street works. Day trading will ALWAYS be around- and it's much easier once you have a fat bank account.

4. If I were you I'd try to get into private equity/venture capital. Thats where the huge bucks are

5. just graduated from college with a degree in finance

Your options depend upon your grades and the prestige of your school. If you got Cs from a mediocre state school, then you are giving up less by not getting a 9-5. For an Ivy League grad, it's a different story.

6. jtnet

jtnet

realize you wasted 4 yrs and who knows how much money on a worthless degree. hope the keg tasted good though.

7. malaka56

malaka56

This may be in the wrong section of the forum.

I would get a job with a small company in a growing field like alt energy, or even a mature sector. Being at a small company will give you more exposure to how the company runs itself and what it takes to build a small company, give you interaction with the execs, etc. This will give you more experience, insight, and responsibility if you later decide to start your own.

Others would say try very hard to get a first job at a brand name company as this will make it easier to land jobs later down the road.

All depends on how much money you want, how motivated you really are, and how important stability is to you. Figure out the ratios that work best for you.

You should probably go out and travel the world for a bit, so you don't end up regretting not having any fun in your early 20's except going clubbing in the city on Saturday nights. Lots of money-making opportunity in developing economies by the way. Inefficiencies abound IMHO.

PS. I am not qualified to give advice.

8. Don Bright is t3h $h17 !!!11

lol

Get an entry level job, work your way up

so many options for you

9. Live Free...Die Hard!:D

10. What does this have to do with stocks? 4 years of college and still can't post this thread at the appropriate forum...

#10     Jul 3, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.